Upgrade is causing problems

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

Divyash

Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:28 am

Hello -

I just upgraded from 5.7 to 5.8 and when I recreate my HA images, everything goes well except when I try to remount the drive on a windows server. I go to Computer Management and I see the drive there, however, I am being prompted to format the drive. Problem is, I have data on that drive. How can I get around this?

Thanks,
Divyash
Anatoly (staff)
Staff

Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:10 am

Hello Divyash,

Could you please tell us what device type are you using? What were the exact steps of the upgrade procedure (have you disconnected from targets first, have you rebooted anything, etc.)?
Best regards,
Anatoly Vilchinsky
Global Engineering and Support Manager
www.starwind.com
av@starwind.com
jeffhamm

Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:49 pm

When you upgrade from V 5.7 to V 5.8, is it required to "recreate the HA images", or just take them offline for a short time during the upgrade process? Is there a PDF of the release notes / upgrade procedure for moving to 5.8?

Thanks,
Jeff
Anatoly (staff)
Staff

Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:15 pm

Please see the whole procedure of upgrading to version 5.8 below:

Installation notes

Installation: Previous versions can be updated by installing this version over the existing installation.
Warning: CHAP authentication is not supported for HA device images created in 5.4 and older versions of the software.

Warning: The existing HA devices cannot be upgraded to version 5.8 without bringing the storage offline for a short time.
Please, take the following steps to update the existing HA devices:
1. To prevent data loss, disconnect clients from HA (if it is possible).
2. Update StarWind service on the first HA node. Wait until the service starts. At this step the HA node is unable to synchronize its HA devices and is not accepting the client connections. Client requests are processed by the second HA node. The next step will disconnect the existing client connections.
3. Update the StarWind service on the second HA node. Wait until the service starts.
4. Start synchronization on the first HA node. The second node changes its state to “ready” and starts processing client connections. Now, you can safely connect to the HA device.
5. Wait for synchronization to finish. Now the first HA node can process the client connections too.
Best regards,
Anatoly Vilchinsky
www.starwind.com
av@starwind.com
jeffhamm

Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:47 pm

So just to clarify, you do NOT have to recreate your HA targets, only take them offline for a short time period, correct?
Anatoly (staff)
Staff

Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:37 pm

100% correct
Best regards,
Anatoly Vilchinsky
www.starwind.com
av@starwind.com
jimbul

Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:32 pm

Just to confirm -

Once both nodes are updated with 5.8, On the first node we initialise full synchronisation (copy data to this device from partner).

At this point, the second node starts servicing client connections (as it is marked as good) and the first node initiates a full copy over of all data from the second (last to be upgraded) over the sync channel.

Sorry if this seems repetitive, just want to get this absolutely right!

Many thanks.

Jim
Anatoly (staff)
Staff

Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:44 pm

And correct again!:)
Best regards,
Anatoly Vilchinsky
www.starwind.com
av@starwind.com
jimbul

Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:00 pm

Implemented, no problems, sync back took 4 hours, but that is around 3 times faster than under 5.7 as saturates both sync channels and sustained read/write seems even better than before now you've lost the ms transport. Really impressive.
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:18 pm

Nice you've confirmed this one as working. Thank you!
jimbul wrote:Implemented, no problems, sync back took 4 hours, but that is around 3 times faster than under 5.7 as saturates both sync channels and sustained read/write seems even better than before now you've lost the ms transport. Really impressive.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software