Problems with Clustered Setup (Image File Sharing)

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

Jesse

Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:48 pm

I am having trouble getting the image file sharing to work. I've followed the instructions from post "StarWind: Support of Clustering Fixed" and I actually had it working awhile ago. Since then, I've had to rebuild the test machines that I was using it on and I cannot get it working again.

Here's what I've done so far:

1. Created the image file using mksparse.exe (the file is F:\disk1.iscsi)
2. Added the following line to the starwind.conf file:
add "ImageFile1" "OD0" -file:"F:\disk1.iscsi" -header:"0" -clustered:"yes"
3. Using MS iSCSI initiator, connected from one of my Win2k3 servers
4. Attempted to connect (mount) from other Win2k3 server and I get "Initiator Error" (note: we are using Oracle's Cluster File System or OCFS and not the MS clustering, so the quorum device setup does not apply)

This error occurs on either server when one is connected and I attempt to connect the other. In other words, I'm only allowed to connect one server to the image file at a time. This configuration worked previously, but for some reason I cannot get it to work this time. Any suggestions???

Thanks.
Jesse
Jesse

Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:26 pm

Ok, I figured it out. Somewhere along the line I had messed with the MS Initiator settings and changed the Initiator Node Name on both servers to the same thing (don't ask what I was thinking at the time). Once I changed them to the proper names (i.e. the machine names), I was able to connect using the instructions noted above without any problem.

Thanks.

Jesse
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:12 pm

Nice to hear everything is up and running! We always love self-supprting customers :-)

BTW, what are you trying to do? If it's not commercial or national secret of course. Just experimenting with clusters or some real life task?
Jesse wrote:Ok, I figured it out. Somewhere along the line I had messed with the MS Initiator settings and changed the Initiator Node Name on both servers to the same thing (don't ask what I was thinking at the time). Once I changed them to the proper names (i.e. the machine names), I was able to connect using the instructions noted above without any problem.

Thanks.

Jesse
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software