StarWind Native SAN for Hyper-V as Classic SAN

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

hixont

Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:45 pm

In my environement my current StarWind SAN servers are pretty beefy and spend much of their time underutilized hardwarewise. Since I have a demand to improve Hyper-V capacity and an insufficient budget to do so quickly I am pondering two scenarios.

The first is to add Hyper-V to my existing SAN servers in order to tap into their mostly unused resources (RAM and CPU) and continuing to use them as SAN servers. Other than needing additional NICs (which I already have) what are the downsides to this option?

The second option is to convert over to the Hyper-V native StarWind SAN software. I would still have four external Hyper-V cluster servers needing iSCSI SAN services in addition to the two Native Hyper-V servers. Is this viable?

In both scenarios I would have a six server Hyper-V cluster, two of which are acting as the SAN servers in addition to being Hyper-V cluster servers.
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:36 pm

It's absolutely possible to use StarWind Native SAN for Hyper-V not only to cross-feed but also feed other Hyper-V hosts with shared storage.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software