Sync throttling query for multiple targets on same volume

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

jimbul

Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:52 am

I was wondering the following:

with the new sync throttling (works great btw), is it aware when other targets are on the same volume or does it only throttle client requests for 'itself'.

So to clarify, let's say i have a raid 10 set, with three targets on it of 500gb each and all are set to prefer servicing client requests to sync requests, if one of these targets gets broken and has to do a full sync, will the other targets be aware of this and let the syncing target know that they are servicing client requests 'so please dont saturate the channel/volume'?

If the above is not the case, and they are not aware of each others priorities, i suppose it would make more sense to simply have one large target per Raid 10 volume, as then in the event of a full sync client access and sync for all the vm's on that target are appropriately throttled.

I hope this makes sense, if not let me know. I used the throttling yesterday after losing a 4 port nic, it worked great.

Cheers,

Jim.
Anatoly (staff)
Staff

Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:08 pm

the functionality of other targets wont be affected in case if one target wii require FullSync for some reason. Please note that if there will be two or more targetrs that needs to be synced, in this case synchronization process will appear on each one of them one-by-one.
Best regards,
Anatoly Vilchinsky
Global Engineering and Support Manager
www.starwind.com
av@starwind.com