Multiple HA Sync Sessions with 5.7

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

rchisholm

Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:18 pm

How many sessions should be setup for sync with 10Gbe sync channels? Also, how can you change this setting on targets created with previous versions?
Anatoly (staff)
Staff

Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:48 am

We recommend to use 4 session (default settings)
Best regards,
Anatoly Vilchinsky
Global Engineering and Support Manager
www.starwind.com
av@starwind.com
nbarsotti

Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:53 pm

Is there a way to change the numbers of sync channels after an HA target has been created?
How many sync channels are created for an HA target that was created with v5.6 when you upgrade?
Anatoly (staff)
Staff

Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:20 am

If you are upgrading from earlier versions to the new one the number of sessions for sync channel will be one. The only way to change it in current version is to re-create HA device.
Best regards,
Anatoly Vilchinsky
www.starwind.com
av@starwind.com
rchisholm

Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:32 pm

I know that the instructions on how to do this exist out there, but can we can a step by step best practice to perform this in this thread.
Anatoly (staff) wrote:If you are upgrading from earlier versions to the new one the number of sessions for sync channel will be one. The only way to change it in current version is to re-create HA device.
Anatoly (staff)
Staff

Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:50 pm

1. Disconnect from the targets of HA device ;
2. Delete the targets of HA devide;
3. Create HA devices using the same Target name and iqn`s as in the old ones and existing image files, but in the wizard specify the settings that you needed;
4. Choose "Not synchronize virtual disks"
Best regards,
Anatoly Vilchinsky
www.starwind.com
av@starwind.com
bheil

Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:13 pm

1. Disconnect from the targets of HA device ;
2. Delete the targets of HA devide;
3. Create HA devices using the same Target name and iqn`s as in the old ones and existing image files, but in the wizard specify the settings that you needed;
4. Choose to do not synchronize HA device;
I have just done the upgrade from 5.6 to 5.7 and recreated one of my HA targets using this procedure (I had to 'force remove device' - 'remove device' complained that the device was busy). After the target is created, it's properties show the device as not synchronized on both of the servers. I assume I need to do a full sync to get the target back, but when I attempt to do a fast sync I get a warning about the partner not being synchronized. If I do a full sync I get a warning about synchronizing with a partner that is not valid.
So - what should I do? It's not a huge deal with this target because there wasn't any data on it yet (except for an iometer test file), but I will probably need to recreate my other target that does have data on it.
What did I do wrong?
mooseracing

Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:00 pm

bheil wrote:
After the target is created, it's properties show the device as not synchronized on both of the servers. I assume I need to do a full sync to get the target back, but when I attempt to do a fast sync I get a warning about the partner not being synchronized. If I do a full sync I get a warning about synchronizing with a partner that is not valid.
So - what should I do? I
From my experience, I make myself wait at least 20 minutes as sometimes the sync takes a little to kick off and I am antsy.

I have always gotten the warning about the partner not valid, so I always make sure I synchronize with the correct one if one had updated data. Otherwise when I re-attach them to Starwind, I tell one of them to sync, then I don't have to do it outside of the attaching/setup wizard.
Anatoly (staff)
Staff

Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:06 am

Guys, could you please post the screenshot of this warning?
Best regards,
Anatoly Vilchinsky
www.starwind.com
av@starwind.com
bheil

Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:42 pm

Ok. FIrst here are the details of the device I am re-creating:
Partner Host : topper.biz.uiowa.edu
Partner Management Port : 3261
Partner Authentication : Basic
Partner Username : root
Partner Target Name : iqn.2008-08.com.starwindsoftware:topper.biz.uiowa.edu-agile-data1
Local Image : My Computer\C\VirtualDisks\Agile\Data1.img
Create new : No
Partner Image : My Computer\C\VirtualDisks\Agile\Data1.img
Create new : No
Sync.Interface : 10.1.1.101
Port : 3260
Heartbeat Interface : none
Priority : Primary
Auto synchronization : No
Partner Sync.Interface : 10.1.1.102
Partner Port : 3260
Partner Heartbeat Interface : none
Partner Priority : Secondary
Auto synchronization : No
Session counter for synchrnoization chanel : 2
Cache mode: : Write-back caching
Cache size: : 1000
Expiry period (ms): : 5000

When creating the new device I choose the option to not synchronize the devices. When I click submit the local (current) server consolse connection is disconnected (on both servers) - when I reconnect the console the device is present on both servers and listed as unsynchronized (on both servers).
If I attempt a fast synch I receive this error:
fast synch error.PNG
fast synch error.PNG (19.93 KiB) Viewed 6313 times
If I attempt a full synch I get this error:
full synch error.PNG
full synch error.PNG (21.01 KiB) Viewed 6316 times
These errors happen no matter which server I attempt to start the synchronization on.
If I choose the full synch and agree to the warning the drive does eventually become synchronized.

(I'll save my questions about synch speed and heartbeat channels for another thread!)
Anatoly (staff)
Staff

Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:27 pm

We will solve this on a remote session.
Best regards,
Anatoly Vilchinsky
www.starwind.com
av@starwind.com