General Queries

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

blueminiboy

Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:10 pm

Hi,

I recently stumbled across your product and was very impressed with its capabilities. Would you please be able to clarify the following points:
  • 1) Is the product recommended for production use as a direct attached disk replacement e.g. Exchange Server storage?

2)Is there a full manual in addition ot the quick user guide/config guide?

3)Am I right in saying that there is no way to change the config outside of the gui without restarting the service?

4)Can you detail the snapshot capability?

5) Is it possible to run multiple StarWind services(instances) on the same machine hosting different devices?

6)Is there a web gui available/coming soon?
Apologies if these questions are basic.

Regards

BMB
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:05 pm

1) Yes, you may feel free to replace DAS and FC SAN with StarWind based solutions.

2) I'm afraid all we have is shipped with StarWind installation. Technical writers are always far away from developmers team.

3) You can either edit .conf by hands and restart the service or use GUI to control the service. If you use GUI -- no restart is required. .conf file is for stand-alone storage appliances. "Configure once and forget" (c) ...

4) Not yet. StarWind with snapshot and incremental backups would be ready close to the beginning of the next year (we're very busy with the other stuff here). Snapshots would be just generic snapshots :-) and increemental backup would allow you to roll back to any previous session state.

5) Yes, you can run multiple StarWind services bind-ed to different local IP addressed (multipathing).

6) No web GUI for now but we're working on HTTPS version of current one.

No problem! Feel free to ask whatever you want :-)
blueminiboy wrote:Hi,

I recently stumbled across your product and was very impressed with its capabilities. Would you please be able to clarify the following points:
  • 1) Is the product recommended for production use as a direct attached disk replacement e.g. Exchange Server storage?

2)Is there a full manual in addition ot the quick user guide/config guide?

3)Am I right in saying that there is no way to change the config outside of the gui without restarting the service?

4)Can you detail the snapshot capability?

5) Is it possible to run multiple StarWind services(instances) on the same machine hosting different devices?

6)Is there a web gui available/coming soon?
Apologies if these questions are basic.

Regards

BMB
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software