Starwind as a Hyper-V vm?

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

awedio

Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:06 pm

Running Starwind software as a Hyper-V vm, Yes or No??? (o/s is Server 2008 R2)

Max, says this is not supported
but Aitor runs it http://www.starwindsoftware.com/forums/ ... tml#p11708 (I assume this is production)
Constantin (staff)

Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:57 am

Aitor uses such configuration, but Max is correct - currently we don`t support StarWind running as VM, but you can do it on your own risk. We`ll provide with all possible support for building and configuring, but we`ll be not able to help you in case of data corruption, or something like that.
Aitor_Ibarra

Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:00 pm

"supported" and "good idea" are both debatable.

I've been supported pretty well! For me the only issues have been with HA. The original 5.0 release had quite a few issues which have been addressed now, and only one of them was virtualisation related, this was cured by the move from Starport to the MS iSCSI initator for syncing between nodes. Now that's sorted, and that auto-resync is done, I'm very confident about putting 5.5 into production and am subjecting it to torture tests.

If I recall correctly, the EULA mentions/used to mention running Starwind as a VM.

And if you get data corruption, well, in real life, you are always on your own. Always have a backup!

I ran 4.1 on "real" hardware, and have been running 4.2 for over a year as a VM. In all that time, I've only had one issue, the starwind.exe service stopped abruptly while I was on holiday, I was able to RDP in and restart it. No data corruption, but a few of the VMs using it for storage crashed. I can't say what caused the issue - may have been a bug in starwind, may have been a windows issue, may have been a virtualisation issue, but one glitch in over a year is pretty good going, and as I said before, no data was lost. I didn't even bother contacting support.

There are lots of advantages to virtualising. In no particular order:

- rebooting a VM is usually quicker than rebooting a real server. If your host has RAID cards etc that slow the bios down, and you need to reboot the starwind vm (a windows patch maybe) then you have less downtime (unless you also need to patch the host!)
- backing up your starwind install, and moving it to new hardware, is simpler. I basically have windows + starwind on a vhd, and then all the starwind img based targets are on pass through disks
- I can control more easily how much RAM and CPU resources are allocated to Starwind. What if? scenarios are much easier to test.
- not tempted to run other roles in the starwind vm!
- if you don't have 10Gbe hardware, but you do have iscsi clients as VMs on the same box - they can talk faster to starwind than if they were on seperate boxes via 1Gbit/sec
- you can test new releases of starwind / windows on your production hardware (if you have spare capacity) without risking your production installation
- the performance hit is negligible (for me performance actually improved, but that's mainly down to better hardware)
- if you just want small, but really fast targets, you can run these as highly available VMs on a hyper-v cluster which you can live migrate. Larger installs aren't really suitable for live migration unless you want to use Starwind as a gateway to another SAN.
- a starwind VM can still have more hardware resources than some hardware SANs. E.g. the EMC AX150i was Celeron/P3 based.

There are some disadvantages

- the weird problem with starport. This might impact mirroring, which still uses starport (not sure, I don't use starwind mirroring)
- if you need more than four cpu cores, you can't allocate them to a hyper-v VM (vmware goes up to 8). So if you have a CPU bottleneck in your starwind VM, you either have to get a faster cpu, spread the load across more VMs, or migrate to physical
- same goes for RAM - I think hyper-v limit is 64GB per VM

Finally, do not attempt this with the 2008 version of Hyper-V. Only use R2. Why? R2's virtual switches & nics support jumbo frames.

HP Lefthand is available as a vmware virtual appliance and a while ago they announced a port to hyper-v - so the idea of virtualising your iSCSI SAN is not that weird or unique!
awedio

Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:32 pm

Aitor,

Very well said..Thx for the detailed explanation.

I myself, am a huge fan of all things virtualized (yes I know there are limits).
I love the portability/flexibility of "virtualization" [quote by Aitor "- backing up your starwind install, and moving it to new hardware, is simpler. I basically have windows + starwind on a vhd']
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:14 pm

We have some good news for you guys. We're going to release Linux-based StarWind and VSA (Virtual Storage Appliance) for ESX, Hyper-V and Xen are going to be released first. So to run StarWind inside virtual machine you'll need no OS license and installation any more: only download virtual machine image and run it :) Stay tuned, it's going to happen REALLY SOON.
awedio wrote:Aitor,

Very well said..Thx for the detailed explanation.

I myself, am a huge fan of all things virtualized (yes I know there are limits).
I love the portability/flexibility of "virtualization" [quote by Aitor "- backing up your starwind install, and moving it to new hardware, is simpler. I basically have windows + starwind on a vhd']
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

awedio

Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:28 pm

Anton,

You can't just drop that kind of bombshell and say "really soon".
How soon, like next week?
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:15 pm

Next week we'll push VSA thru our internal QA team. So if you're part of the external beta team (and I know you are) I think you can get hands over the VSA in 2-4 weeks from today. Not later :)
awedio wrote:Anton,

You can't just drop that kind of bombshell and say "really soon".
How soon, like next week?
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

awedio

Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:52 am

anton (staff) wrote:Next week we'll push VSA thru our internal QA team. So if you're part of the external beta team (and I know you are) I think you can get hands over the VSA in 2-4 weeks from today. Not later :)
u got PM!
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:03 am

Replied!
awedio wrote:
anton (staff) wrote:Next week we'll push VSA thru our internal QA team. So if you're part of the external beta team (and I know you are) I think you can get hands over the VSA in 2-4 weeks from today. Not later :)
u got PM!
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev