Rotage Log Files

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

darrellchapman

Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:46 pm

Is there a way to rotate the StarWind log files on a daily basis? My last log file was 18GB in size before I had to restart the service.
dmmattix

Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:59 pm

Absolutely since every problem resolution starts with "Send us your log files". I had to FTP the last ones because the pertinent one was 788MB.

Mike
Alex Satler (staff)
Staff

Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:31 am

dmmattix wrote:Absolutely since every problem resolution starts with "Send us your log files". I had to FTP the last ones because the pertinent one was 788MB.

Mike
Well, that makes a perfect sense, since in 95% cases your log files will tell us what is the problem. :roll:
Aitor_Ibarra

Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:08 pm

I'd like this too. Let us specify hourly, daily, weekly or monthly log files, and ideally have an option to compress them after a new log has been started, and auto delete logs older than a certain date.

Also, I'd like the most important events to be recorded in the Windows Event log as well. That way tasks can be attached to them (was a new feature for 2008) - e.g. to email you an alert if a target fails.

If you have an HA setup, you can sort of do it yourself:

1) Set up a scheduled task to restart the server (or just the Starwind service) on each node. Make sure that the times on each Starwind box are far apart so you don't have them both go at once. Starwind starts a new log everytime the service starts.

2) Set up another task (or attach .bat to your startup tasks in group policy) which compresses / deletes logs.

I don't like this workaround because it requires unnecessarry failovers, but it's actually what I do (well, 1) at least) to stress test new builds of Starwind(reboot each node at hourly intervals while constantly writing to the target).

cheers,

Aitor
Constantin (staff)

Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:10 pm

We are working on such functionality, and thanks a lot for your feedback!
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:07 pm

...should be ready in minor StarWind update BTW.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software