How to setup VSS to support Starwind

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

dmmattix

Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:15 pm

I have been having an issue with Starwind under Windows Storage Server 2008. The issue seems to be to do with the way I have VSS configured (or mis-configured). Is there any WhitePaper or documentation on how to properly set this up for Starwind? I have looked but have been unable to find anything.

Thanks

Mike Mattix
Max (staff)
Staff

Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:44 am

Hi, I would like to know more about what exactly have you been doing with the configuration e.g. target type, VSS version.
The technical paper describing the VSS work can be found here:http://www.starwindsoftware.com/images/ ... nd_CDP.pdf
Max Kolomyeytsev
StarWind Software
dmmattix

Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:36 pm

The configuration I have is StarWind running on a Windows Storage Server 2008. The client is an ESXi V4.1 system. The guest OS is Server 2003 on a VM on the ESXi box. I have read both the CDP WP and the ESXi WP. The CDP WP indicates that I need to install VSS Helper Service on the guest OS and I did that. I started the Microsoft VSS Service and when none of that worked I enabled VSS on the main data drive on the guest OS (I have no idea how that could help but...). The symptoms I am getting is that the memory on the WSS 2008 machine fills up when the guest OS does any significant writing to the virtual disk provided by StarWind. I have a case in support but have not gotten any resolution (Case #00002564 - one of the ones that seemed to hang when Bob left). The logs claim not to find any suitable VSS Provider on the client. The ESXi WP is old (V3.5) I would suspect that maybe the ESXi Storage is not configured properly but can find nothing that I did not do on that machine as described in the WP.

I can send you any logs you need to get this process going again.

Thanks

Mike Mattix
Constantin (staff)

Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:31 pm

We`ve got your logs! Thanks! )