Is Starwind Free discontinued?

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

Christopher

Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:26 pm

Greetings, just tried downloading Starwind Free -- all links end up redirecting to the enterprise trial, not the limited version... Don't know if this means it has been officially discontinued -- all roads point to trial (unless you managed to find an archaic version on Google hosted elsewhere).

I figured I would just be a little goofy here at the house. Upgrade laptop/workstation to SSDs, and then relocate any significant quantity of data to iSCSI targets on my in-home 2008 SBS. Why, because I can. The purchase-order for the corporate SAN was several hundred thousand, so I didn't exactly want to sign one of those for personal usage. :)

StarWind seems to have the best reputation, but if necessary I'll fall-back to one of the other options.
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:58 am

Chris, initially we've applied a set of changes to have unified installation for both Trial and Free and Trial turning into Free automatically after 30 days. But looks like nobody (including you) neither realized it works this way nor liked it. So for now we've withdraw this version. If you need a Free please drop a message to sales@ and they will be happy to issue you with a NFR key. And in next few weeks we\re going to represent completely new Trial and Free ones. Stay tuned and sorry for inconvenience!
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

Christopher

Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:40 pm

Thanks I'll look into this. Definitely a safer route to get the license file than reaching Day 31 and accidentally discovering I might have been relying on some of the "trial" enterprise features.
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:51 am

That's right!
Christopher wrote:Thanks I'll look into this. Definitely a safer route to get the license file than reaching Day 31 and accidentally discovering I might have been relying on some of the "trial" enterprise features.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software