Management Console loses connection

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

dmmattix

Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:21 pm

I have Starwind Target v 5.4.0 installed on a Windows Storage Server system from Dell (NX3100). When I first boot I can use the Starwind Management Console to connect to the WSS server with no problems. Create targets, etc.

Once the system has run for a day or so with a bit a traffic on it. I attempt to connect to the server with the Management Console and I get the connection message but then 45 seconds later it tells me "connection is lost". If I reboot the server then I can connect again. I have looked at the logs and the following is all that is recorded:
7/25 14:05:11.945 6a0 conf: Accepted control connection from 157.126.108.210:54493.
7/25 14:13:12.069 6a0 conf: Accepted control connection from 157.126.108.210:54495.
7/25 14:14:16.747 6a0 conf: Accepted control connection from 157.126.108.210:54496.

I hope there is something I am doing wrong as I have just begun using the software last week so I am anything but an expert...

Any ideas on where to start looking?

Thanks

Mike Mattix
mike.mattix@cpkelco.com
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:12 pm

Please clean the log, then reproduce situation with failed reconnect, zip and send the log to support@starwindsoftware.com with a reference to what you do. We'll take a look and will try to sort your issue out ASAP. Thank you!
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

dmmattix

Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:49 pm

Just to complete the loop as I notice a number of posts that end with "Send us the logs to support" and the solution if there is one never gets out here. This makes the forums less useful than they could be.

My problem was simple. I was deploying a Snapshot and CDP volume without have the VSS Helper installed and running. Maybe someone new to the software will miss this also and find this post.

Regards,

Mike
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:54 pm

Not really. If we had solved the issue we ALWAYS write down what was wrong. So if last post is from our staff and it's "thread killer" this means user just gave up (in most of the cases).
dmmattix wrote:Just to complete the loop as I notice a number of posts that end with "Send us the logs to support" and the solution if there is one never gets out here. This makes the forums less useful than they could be.

My problem was simple. I was deploying a Snapshot and CDP volume without have the VSS Helper installed and running. Maybe someone new to the software will miss this also and find this post.

Regards,

Mike
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

anton (staff)
Site Admin

Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:56 pm

...and thank you very much for letting us know what was the issue in your particular case. This really helps to other users in the future. Thank you!
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

dmmattix

Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:42 am

No problem. I just am one who thinks forums should be as useful as possible. And it is a shame that the user gave up as the support staff is very good and prompt. I posted this on Sunday afternoon expecting to hear something hopefully by Monday AM and Bob came right back and we had it resolved by Sunday PM. Kudos and people should not be afraid to send their issues to the support team.

Regards,

Mike
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:52 pm

This is true. We're proud of service we provide our customers with :)
dmmattix wrote:No problem. I just am one who thinks forums should be as useful as possible. And it is a shame that the user gave up as the support staff is very good and prompt. I posted this on Sunday afternoon expecting to hear something hopefully by Monday AM and Bob came right back and we had it resolved by Sunday PM. Kudos and people should not be afraid to send their issues to the support team.

Regards,

Mike
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev