SAN newbie

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

joshrose26

Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:40 pm

I've been lurking this forum for a few days now doing research and just wanted to get some opinions and experience.

Our company recently deployed Vsphere essentials and virtualized the following servers:
SBS 2008 (running 26 users or so with growth over the next 5 years maybe putting us at 40 max)
08 server with SQL server 2008 (part of SBS 2008 premium)
2003 terminal server (On average has between 10-15 active sessions)
A few development boxes ( 03 and 2 XP)
A couple linux images (untangle edge and an FTP)

We have this running on two hosts, with a third older PE2850 running our backups and Vcenter.

We were recommended the Drobo Elite as a a centralized storage device and it failed miserably. We returned it for a refund.

Now we're burned and wading through other recommended small business SAN appliances. With recommendations ranging from the $2000 QNAP devices up to $30000 Equallogic arrays. Building our own seems ideal. I've seen a few threads here recommended prepackaged dell servers or build your own super micro devices.

Based on our level of use, any ideas on what we would need?

Should I build a supermicro box and fill it with savvios? Will Sata suffice? (I tend to like SCSI in my servers going way back, they just seem to last longer and be less prone to failure) what can we build that will scale up to 40-50 users and still have a little room left?

Thanks to any replies.
Constantin (staff)

Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:05 am

Well, choosing supermicro box you can you choose all hardware by yourself to be absolutely sure that it fits all your needs. If I would be you, I would prefer exactly this solution. And I would recommend you to give a try to StarWind Enterprise HA for higher redundancy and accessibility of your data.
joshrose26

Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:05 pm

So after some additional research. I think we are going to get the following.

Poweredge R710
1x Intel E5502
8GB RAM
8 x 147 GB 15k SAS drives
PERC 6/I
Internal SD card
Redundant power supply

Our initial plan is to order one of these and use it to host our VM's.

Can your Starwind install and OS go on a raid array along with ISCSI targets?
The internal SD card I assume I can't load an OS to this.
Can I take 4 drives and make a raid 10 array and the other 4 for a raid 6 array and load some VM's to each?
Max (staff)
Staff

Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:30 pm

If you mean SSD disk, than you'll be able to install the OS there, StarWind can be also stationed there.
It will also be ok if you install the OS on one of the raid arrays and use the oter one as an iSCSI storage.
But if you want to save an array for storing data, I would recommend to get a simple SATA drive to keep the OS there.
Max Kolomyeytsev
StarWind Software
joshrose26

Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:54 pm

The SD card is Dell SD
I think it's purpose is for embedded ESXi or hyper-v, I didn't know if we could for instance run a copy of Windows 2008 from a 32gb SD card and use all 8 drives for the ISCSI target.

Essentially though, a RAID array can't run the OS and starwind and also be an iSCSI target.

Such as running a giant RAID 10 array across 8 drives and also have starwind installed.
Max (staff)
Staff

Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:20 pm

Oh, now it's more clear! The SD is not intended to run the OS.
Also, you can use the same RAID for OS, StarWind and iSCSI storage, but you will need to export a basic virtual disk, not the whole RAID array as a physical drive. Anyway, my recommendation about getting a simple SATA for storing the OS and StarWind remains valued. :)
Max Kolomyeytsev
StarWind Software
joshrose26

Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:37 pm

I guess I'm a bit paranoid but I'm also considering the following from Dell.

PE R510

8 147 gb 15k SAS (for the ISCSI targets)
2 147 gb 10k SAS (For Raid 1 OS and starwind)
1 E5503 XEON
8GB ram

I'm thinking about setting up a 4 drive Raid 10 array for our SBS 2008 and putting the remaining 4 into RAID 6 for all other VM's.

Should this hardware coupled with Starwind enterprise (with plans to add a second node and upgrading to HA on the 2 year plan)
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:37 pm

Should work fine. I'd (however) invest into cheaper and more TBs SATA drives and more RAM to serve as a write-back cache.
joshrose26 wrote:I guess I'm a bit paranoid but I'm also considering the following from Dell.

PE R510

8 147 gb 15k SAS (for the ISCSI targets)
2 147 gb 10k SAS (For Raid 1 OS and starwind)
1 E5503 XEON
8GB ram

I'm thinking about setting up a 4 drive Raid 10 array for our SBS 2008 and putting the remaining 4 into RAID 6 for all other VM's.

Should this hardware coupled with Starwind enterprise (with plans to add a second node and upgrading to HA on the 2 year plan)
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

joshrose26

Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:50 am

thanks for the help everybody, how much ram would you recommend for optimal performance.

Also we are ordering this box to test the 30 day trial of starwind. We intend on getting a second box later on, is there an upgrade path from Enterprise to Enterprise HA?
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:43 am

More you could install )) But keep in mind - you need HA configuration to protect huge write-back cache.

Yes, upgrades are possible. Should sales contact you again to discover all the conditions?
joshrose26 wrote:thanks for the help everybody, how much ram would you recommend for optimal performance.

Also we are ordering this box to test the 30 day trial of starwind. We intend on getting a second box later on, is there an upgrade path from Enterprise to Enterprise HA?
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software