Newbie Question

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

kjah

Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:27 am

Hi,

I’ve just joined a new company and have an immediate need to sort out the infrastructure and put in place a dr plan. We have two sites at the moment, one of which hosts the majority of our infrastructure and the second site hosts a single server which acts as dc as well as providing local file and print services.

I’m thinking of the following setup

Site A – Primary Site
ESXi Server hosting Exchange, SQL Server, TS, DC’s as well as file & print services
StarWind SAN(live production)

Site B – Secondary Site
ESXi Server hosting DC, file & print(hosts to be stored on actual server storage and files replicated back to main site using DFS)
StarWind SAN(dr copy using async replication )
Tape backup device to backup contents of SAN and local ESXi image

To me this sounds like it will work but I wanted to be sure that in the event that Site A goes down I’m not going to have any problems running the servers of the dr SAN in Site B using the site B ESXi server. Also we’ve got a 2mb dedicated link between the sites and currently we have around 500gb live data. Is the link sufficient for the async mirror or will it suffer?

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Cheers

Kam
Max (staff)
Staff

Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:34 pm

Kam,
There's no need to go to the forum with pre-sale questions, please drop an email to sales@starwindsoftware.com and you will get all the pre-sale support pro's :) And be sure to provide the right phone number so our techs and account managers could call you.
Max Kolomyeytsev
StarWind Software