Connecting a NAS

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

msones

Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:34 am

I have a Drobo FS (NAS with gigbit LAN). Is it possible to have it show up in either starwind free or starwind server as a source for an iSCSI target? I saw a screenshot of a NAS turning into iSCSI. I was trying to find the .rtf file and the .conf file to make changes but I was unable to locate them. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Much appreciated,

Mike
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:29 am

You need to create SMB share on your NAS device and put StarWind image on it. Then you'll be able to "convert" storage on NAS to SAN (with StarWind of course).
msones wrote:I have a Drobo FS (NAS with gigbit LAN). Is it possible to have it show up in either starwind free or starwind server as a source for an iSCSI target? I saw a screenshot of a NAS turning into iSCSI. I was trying to find the .rtf file and the .conf file to make changes but I was unable to locate them. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Much appreciated,

Mike
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

msones

Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:36 pm

Starwind does not see my SMB share I created. It only shows the local hardware drives. It doesn't even show a usb external drive. Is there another configuration I should do? Do I need to purchase the server version instead of the free version?

Thank you,
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:45 pm

It filters out non-DAS storage. You need StarWind Network Storage Converter product beta to re-map SAN and NAS storage as iSCSI. You don't need to purchase anything as NSC is expected to be released free of charge. Apply for beta and drop us a message you want NSC preview version... or wait before we'll publish it gold :)
msones wrote:Starwind does not see my SMB share I created. It only shows the local hardware drives. It doesn't even show a usb external drive. Is there another configuration I should do? Do I need to purchase the server version instead of the free version?

Thank you,
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

msones

Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:46 pm

Do you have an approx time for gold?
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:53 pm

Fall 2010.
msones wrote:Do you have an approx time for gold?
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev