Losing Datastores

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

anton (staff)
Site Admin

Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:52 pm

We don't have anything like automatic updates. We only warn new version is out. It's completely up to system administrator - apply the new version or not. Like in most of the RL cases people do 50/50 split. One half says "Update always" and second half says "Update never unless you have strict reason doing this". So we don't force people to run updates. But I can agree (of course) - situation with storage going AWOL should never happen.
darrellchapman wrote:I don't mean to beat a dead horse but I agree with tulsaconnect as well. Updates, regardless of who they are from, should not be applied simply because they are available. Our whole vSphere network is reliant on our two StarWind HA unlimited nodes. I take the security and stability of these two boxes very, very seriously. These machines, for the most part, have no Internet access and I will only update them only if the software addresses a vulnerability or issue I've been having. We've had 60 employees sitting twirling their thumbs for two days because of a StarWind node issue before and that should NEVER happen.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

Tolahouse

Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:50 pm

Ok, I started this topic and upgrading to the latest version has solved the issue of losing datastores. However this has introduced a new and critical issue. Around every week and a half to two weeks both of my previously solidly stable SAN boxes crash. One of them gives a BSOD and the other reboots itself. Of course all of my VM's (all 20+) go offline. This is no good.

Sending in my logs.
Bohdan (staff)
Staff

Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:04 pm

Hi.

What is the OS on the storage servers? Is it 2008 R2?
We have a feedback from one of our customers about similar problem.
The BSOD was caused by MS iSCSI drivers and the applying of the hotfix solved the problem
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/979711/en-gb
Tolahouse

Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:01 am

My OS is Server 2008 SP1.
Max (staff)
Staff

Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:51 am

Please send us the StarWind logfiles to support@starwindsoftware.com, we will look through to find out why that happens.
Max Kolomyeytsev
StarWind Software
Tolahouse

Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:42 pm

Logs sent in.

Thanks
Max (staff)
Staff

Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:29 am

Got it, your logs show that the second mirror is a not existing image which initiator is constantly trying to log in.
If you're interested we can offer you a remote help session in a convenient timeframe for you, please drop us a request at support@starwindsoftware.com
Max Kolomyeytsev
StarWind Software