question for installation a new host

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

georgeyu100

Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:54 pm

When Add New Host,127.0.0.1 is default.
My question is that
on my Win7, there are two NICs. 192.168.1.211 for network, 10.1.1.2 for iSCSI to VMware Host directly.
Whitch one can I set here?

Second, after I added a host afew days ago, I can't logon it "usemane and password is invalid". But I never changed it before.

How can I do it?
Thanks!
Max (staff)
Staff

Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:59 pm

Hi,
The target you have created will be available on all of the network interfaces.
To configure interface restrictions you should go to the server configuration tab->Network
and set the desired interface.

Default Username and Password are root : starwind, you should be able to log on using those.
You're welcome!
Max Kolomyeytsev
StarWind Software
georgeyu100

Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:50 pm

Thank you for your respose. But, I still have the prob[img][/img]lem about it.

1. password is invalid. ( the only way is that Starwind needs to install again?)
but, I can configure the host, why?

2. "The target you have created will be available on all of the network interfaces.
"
The Target is not availabel (grey). So, I can't creat a target. How can I use it?

by the way, how can I put any picture here?

Thanks!
George
georgeyu100

Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:39 pm

After I reinstalled Starwind, Password is OK, the Target is OK. I can see all the NICs for iSCSI here.
But, on Vmware 3.5, after configured all the things for iSCSI, I still can't see any disk on Current Disk Layout after clicked Add Staorage Wizard. Please it:
http://communities.vmware.com/message/1545112

How can I make sure the Sarwind work well. I mean if there are any tools can let me know it is OK on 10.1.1.2

Thank!
George
georgeyu100

Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:26 pm

Hi,
After I installed Microsoft iSCSI initiator on XP, the XP has conneted and logon to the target set up by Starwind.
Now, How can I get it as a disk on my XP. I guess The image file on Win7 should be formated as a disk, than XP can see it. How can I format it?

Thanks.

George
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:09 pm

You can do it like you do with any ordinary disk. Go to Disk Management, initialize your newborn disk and pick up any file system you want.
georgeyu100 wrote:Hi,
After I installed Microsoft iSCSI initiator on XP, the XP has conneted and logon to the target set up by Starwind.
Now, How can I get it as a disk on my XP. I guess The image file on Win7 should be formated as a disk, than XP can see it. How can I format it?

Thanks.

George
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

georgeyu100

Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:45 pm

anton (staff) wrote:You can do it like you do with any ordinary disk. Go to Disk Management, initialize your newborn disk and pick up any file system you want.
Thanks your response. But, I can't see it in Dis Mangement. What is wrong?

In addtion, I met the big problem " the username and password are Invalid" again after the Blue Screen" came again. How can I fix it?

Thanks!

George
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:14 am

1) I can bet you have volume size larger then 2TB. If it's an issue replace XP with a more recent OS.

2) Restore XML configuration from backup. Also it's not clear what did result BSOD on a server machine. Do you happen to have crash dumps?
georgeyu100 wrote:
anton (staff) wrote:You can do it like you do with any ordinary disk. Go to Disk Management, initialize your newborn disk and pick up any file system you want.
Thanks your response. But, I can't see it in Dis Mangement. What is wrong?

In addtion, I met the big problem " the username and password are Invalid" again after the Blue Screen" came again. How can I fix it?

Thanks!

George
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

georgeyu100

Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:16 pm

Thanks, Anton,

You are rignt! I have 1.5T disk on my PC. Win7 should support it, but maybe for BIOS,it is a prblem. I'll update BIOS first.

For the password, only way is that reinstalling Starwind, right?

Thank you again!

George
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:25 pm

2TB is an issue, 1.5TB should work fine.

If you did not backup - just use brand new configuration file and default login:password settings.
georgeyu100 wrote:Thanks, Anton,

You are rignt! I have 1.5T disk on my PC. Win7 should support it, but maybe for BIOS,it is a prblem. I'll update BIOS first.

For the password, only way is that reinstalling Starwind, right?

Thank you again!

George
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

georgeyu100

Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:54 pm

anton (staff) wrote:2TB is an issue, 1.5TB should work fine.

If you did not backup - just use brand new configuration file and default login:password settings.
Sorry, I only found a Config.xsd. after I changed its name, the password proble is still here.
Could you tell me what is the configuration file?

Thank!

George
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:35 pm

This is configuration file you should backup. It's still not clear why machine BSODs (we don't install any kernel drivers at the target side) and why XML gets corrupted. Did you get what I asking you to do?
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

georgeyu100

Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:48 pm

" This is configuration file you should backup"
What is the configuration file? Do you mean it is for Starwind or of Win 7 system?
If for Starwind, where can I get it? and what the name is?

Thanks!

George Yu
Max (staff)
Staff

Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:53 am

The configuration file you should back up is Starwind.cfg which can be found in C:\Program Files\StarWind Software\StarWind\
Max Kolomyeytsev
StarWind Software
georgeyu100

Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:06 am

Got it.
Thanks!

One more question:

can't see any virtual disk in Disk Managerment, and Also, in XP can't see any disk. Meanwhile, ESX can't creat a Virtual Machine on it, Why?

I have created another virtual disk, but same problem with the first one, can't see it in Disk management.
But, in ESX, it can be seen after configuration it. and can upload file to it and this file can be moved to first one!
And, after expended size by Starwin, the size also expended, after scanning in ESX. But, still can't creat a virtaul machine on it.

George Yu