Linux Initiators -> Win2003 StarWind Targets -> Boot I

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

Joe

Fri Nov 26, 2004 8:23 pm

I have two Centos 3 Linux servers connecting to 5 targets which are hosted on a Windows 2003 server. The Targets are configured with clustered=yes. The two Linux servers are configured to run Oracle RAC. When the servers reboot they often due not discover all 5 drives correctly. Sometimes one of the drivers is missing. If I start and stop the iscsi driiver on the linux server some times all drives will all show up - most of the time I have to bounce the windows service and then all the drives are discovered properly. Is there a way to prevent this from happenning ? This is not good since it directly affects the linux device name assigned to the iscsi target if one of the drivers are missing .... Thanks Joe
Val (staff)

Sat Nov 27, 2004 12:55 am

Joe wrote:I have two Centos 3 Linux servers connecting to 5 targets which are hosted on a Windows 2003 server. The Targets are configured with clustered=yes. The two Linux servers are configured to run Oracle RAC. When the servers reboot they often due not discover all 5 drives correctly. Sometimes one of the drivers is missing. If I start and stop the iscsi driiver on the linux server some times all drives will all show up - most of the time I have to bounce the windows service and then all the drives are discovered properly. Is there a way to prevent this from happenning ? This is not good since it directly affects the linux device name assigned to the iscsi target if one of the drivers are missing .... Thanks Joe
Hi Joe,

Do the two Linux servers start syncronously?
If yes, there may be some race conditions between them.

Also there maybe some timeout issues with the iscsi driver module during Linux boot sequence...
Best regards,
Valeriy