Help installing on 20008 R2

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

Frafou

Thu May 06, 2010 8:28 pm

I have tried installing starwind on a 2008 R2 DC and i'm unable to get the clients to connect to the luns (Drives)
The clients can connect to a 2003 R2 installation without any issues but when i point thyem to the 2008 R2 DC i get a "connection failed" message.

Are there any additional steps required to get Starwind to work on a 2008 R2 DC ?

Tks
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Thu May 06, 2010 8:36 pm

A lot of them actually... Start with checking what's wrong with your firewall. At least telnet to ports 3260 (data) and 3261 (control) to see do you have them opened. If yes and still no connection grab and zip StarWind log and send it to support@starwindsoftware.com or post it here (as attachment of course). Then we'll tell you what's wrong.
Frafou wrote:I have tried installing starwind on a 2008 R2 DC and i'm unable to get the clients to connect to the luns (Drives)
The clients can connect to a 2003 R2 installation without any issues but when i point thyem to the 2008 R2 DC i get a "connection failed" message.

Are there any additional steps required to get Starwind to work on a 2008 R2 DC ?

Tks
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

Frafou

Fri May 07, 2010 3:25 pm

I would seem the standard ISCSI rule does not apply to the starwind service.
I had to create a new rule to be able to connect.

I did not see this in the setup requirement.
It may be a good idea to specify this step more clearly in the documentation as it seems obvious now that i have done it. But i did not prior to testing.
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Fri May 07, 2010 3:49 pm

As usuall... Well, I think we have one. I'll check it out, thanks for pointing :)
Frafou wrote:I would seem the standard ISCSI rule does not apply to the starwind service.
I had to create a new rule to be able to connect.

I did not see this in the setup requirement.
It may be a good idea to specify this step more clearly in the documentation as it seems obvious now that i have done it. But i did not prior to testing.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software