Multiple clients/single virtual disk

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

wisensly

Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:07 pm

I was told that StarWind would allow mutliple physical systems to boot to a single boot image. I've been successful in using gPXE and StarWind to boot physical machines to a virtual drive. However, if a second machine is booted to the same image, mayhem ensues. There are other options on the market which support this, but their price is prohibitive. Is there a method of getting this to work using StarWind software?
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:08 pm

Yes, you need properly configured CDP stuff at the target side. I've contacted technicians so they will come up with more info soon.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

Constantin (staff)

Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:30 am

You have two options in this case:
Using your basic image with OS create autorestored snapshot of it (Create New Target - Hard Disk - Advanced Virtual - Snapshot and CDP device - Create new virtual disk based on image file). You should create as many snapshots, as many bootable servers you have.
Second option is to create new CDP disk, and then create linked clones of it (Create New Target - Hard Disk - Advanced Virtual - Snapshot and CDP device - Full clone). You should also use 1 clone per server.