Cannot get TWO iSCSI sessions connected at the same time!

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

golddiggie

Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:10 pm

I just downloaded the free version (obviously) and wanted to get my physical ESXi4 host and nested ESXi4 host to connect to the same iSCSI target presented from my regular workstation (plenty of storage, memory, etc)... I created a 512GB LUN via the starwind software and presented it. Problem is, only ONE of the ESXi4 hosts can connect to it at a time. Even though the web site that shows the features available for the free version claim that you can have TWO concurrent sessions... I know my ESXi4 host settings are correct since each can connect when the other is not connected. I've bounced the nested server and the physical host was able to connect up while the nested was offline/unavailable.

Seems really crappy that a current release of a product CLAIMING to allow two concurrent connections, in fact, doesn't. This is a fresh download, with the license file applied. I even tried it with the license file removed, to have the 30 day trial option (actually tried that first figuring it would give me the best chance to get this to work)...

I'm not looking for much. I just need a temporary iSCSI target where I can move a couple of important VM's (like the vCenter server and my AD DC) to while I'm updating the physical host (post update 1 patches/updates). I don't really care about any 'advanced' features, I just need the ones listed for the free product. If the product can't even deliver on that, then it's totally useless.
golddiggie

Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:47 pm

Never mind... ghetto default settings prevented the multiple sessions/connections...

I've only had to create/recreate about a half dozen LUNs over the past 3 hours before getting it to work to at least a low level... Listing storage size (during target creation) in MB was the first issue... Who defaults to MB's for datatore size these days? It's GB's to everyone else... Even the ESXi4 product wants a LUN that's at LEAST 1.2GB before it will do anything... At least make this something that can be selected/changed instead of forcing an archaic unit of measure...
Constantin (staff)

Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:38 am

Free version can`t be used in production, only commercial.
Free allows you to connect with two initiators - you have to enable clustering option during the creating the target.