Authentication failed..followed by starwind server crash

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

haahof

Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:35 pm

I have a situation where our MS initiator start getting "authentication failed" (we are not using authentication) on targets. At this point I cannot remove the effected target(was going to remove and re-add). I go to restart the Starwind service and the service hangs. At this point I cannot not even restart the server(Win2k8) as it hands on the Starwindserver process that wont die. I have to "pull the plug" to get it down. Once it comes back up I still get access denided on the target but I am now able to remove and re-add the target which the initiator can now connect to.

Has anyone else experienced this?
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:01 pm

Outstanding! Would you please generate Level 3 logs and forward them to support@starwindsoftware.com with a tiny description and backling to this thread. We'll take a look at this issue ASAP. Thank you very much for cooperation!
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

haahof

Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:04 am

another crash today... had to reboot target and initiators. What is a level 3 log and how to I generate it?
Constantin (staff)

Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:22 am

Go to %Program Files%StarWind Software/StarWind and edit with Notepad file StarWind.cfg. There is an option LogLevel=1. You should change 1 to 3 and restart the service.
haahof

Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:35 pm

Ok. It will have to wait until this weekend in the even that the service doesnt behave correctly. And then I think it will need to stop working correctly again for me to get a usefull log correct?
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:46 pm

Absolutely! You need to catch service crashed, capture both logs and memory dumps and send them to us (zipped of course).

I do assume you run the most recent StarWind build, don't you? :)
haahof wrote:Ok. It will have to wait until this weekend in the even that the service doesnt behave correctly. And then I think it will need to stop working correctly again for me to get a usefull log correct?
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

haahof

Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:07 pm

running 5.2

My last dump file from 3-14 was 345MB, but 25MB compressed. is there another way to get you the dump file? I guess I could winrar into a few smaller parts. On the initiator side, they disconnect and reconnect frequently every 3-4 minutes. On the target side i see things like "Management command: LUN reset - not supported" and a single instance of "Ssc xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - aborted, but still being executed."

anyways...I guess I will reset it over the weekend and wait for the next crash.

-christopher
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:18 pm

Unfortunately we're not interested much in old version feedback as it's really ages between 5.2 and 5.3 so I would strongly suggest you to upgrade to 5.3 as a starting point. There's simply no sense in hunting for bugs fixed days/months/years ago.

Sure. Please put the stuff on ftp and fire us a link. If you don't have one (ftp I mean) please contact us at support@starwindsoftware.com and we'll provide you with our ftp upload account. But start with the version upgrade. Aborted tasks stuff was fixed by both StarWind Software & VMware (there's a patch).
haahof wrote:running 5.2

My last dump file from 3-14 was 345MB, but 25MB compressed. is there another way to get you the dump file? I guess I could winrar into a few smaller parts. On the initiator side, they disconnect and reconnect frequently every 3-4 minutes. On the target side i see things like "Management command: LUN reset - not supported" and a single instance of "Ssc xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - aborted, but still being executed."

anyways...I guess I will reset it over the weekend and wait for the next crash.

-christopher
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev