Issues adding iSCSI LUN's on more than one esx server....

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

umarmuha

Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:46 am

I experienced some odd behavior today using StarWind. I had to restart my StarWind server because of windows updates. So I turned of all the test virtual machines that I was running on the esx server (the only one connected to iSCI luns at the moment) and then restarted the StarWind server. At this point I only had one esx server connected to the StarWind server. Once the StarWind server came back up I tried connecting other ESX server with the iSCSI targets and the LUNS will not show up in the VMware storage adapter. The one server that I originally had connected works just fine but I just cant link any other esx server with the iSCSI targets. I was able to add LUN's on all the ESX servers before. The other odd thing I saw was that after the restart, StarWind server had a duplicate entry for every single access rule that I created. So I deleted the duplicate entries. When I add the StarWind server IP under the Dynamic Discovery tab of the ESX iSCSI storage adapter, i can see the LUN targets under the static discovery but they just don't get added when i re-scan. I double checked to make sure the access rules are correct. I saw a whole bunch of logs in VMkernel regarding "iSCSI connection is being marked OFFLINE".

I am already working with StarWind support professional but just thought i post this here in case someone else has experienced a similar issue. Since logs are not allowed here I will send VMware logs and StarWind logs per request.
Constantin (staff)

Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:54 pm

1. Did you choose option "allow multiply connections" during creating the targets? If not - you`ll be not able to connect with more than 1 initiator.
2. Error with duplicating rules was fixed in latest version.
3. I think logs and StarWind.cfg files would be good option to find out the reason of last problem :)
umarmuha

Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:48 pm

Constantin,
Thank you so much for your reply. Before i got this message I was working with another StarWind engineer and they mentioned the same thing to check "Allow multiple iSCSI connection (clustering)". You both were spot-on. I just removed all the LUN's, remounted them back with the multiple connection option checked and everything works great now. I have all my ESX servers connected to the same iSCSI targets now. You guys are just that good :) Thanks again for the help and have a great weekend.
Constantin (staff)

Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:36 am

Great to hear! :) Can I ask who was this engineer? :)
umarmuha

Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:35 am

Absolutely, his name is Bob Boule. He was super helpful and very thorough with his answers, just like you guys are :D
Constantin (staff)

Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:00 am

I had no doubt that it was Bob Boule! Thanks for feedback.