scaling up

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

rshubert

Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:39 pm

I'm planning to upgrade my SAN and would like to know if this will work:

CURRENTLY ONLINE-
2 GB RAID 5 shared to 3 clients for Hyper-V
Starwind Server 5.0 (20091030)

NEAR FUTURE-
7 GB RAID 6 shared to 3 clients for Hyper-V (new server)
Starwind Enterprise 5.x (upgrade)

FUTURE-
7 GB RAID 6 shared to 4 clients for Hyper-V (add Hyper-V node)
Starwind Enterprise 5.x (no change)

FAR FUTURE-
7 GB RAID 6 shared to 4 clients for Hyper-V
7 GB RAID 6 backup (new server - old SAN upgraded with new drives)
Starwind Enterprise Unlimited or HA Unlimited (upgrade)

Because I'm building out the hardware in stages, I'd like to know if there are any problems with upgrading the Starwind software as I go. For example, would be it be more clostly, or would I need to interupt my services to upgrade between the versions or attach the mirrored backup? I need to get something going soon, as my current SAN is showing its age, but it looks like v5.5 is coming out soon (?) and I can't have the backup SAN online along with the new primary because there is some re-use of hardware in there. Obviously I'm looking to interupt my Hyper-V services as little as possible while still doing the upgrade in stages. If anyone has done something like this and has some advice, that would be appreciated - if Starwind can clarify how much interuption there is to move to or add advanced licenses/features, that would be helpful as well.

Thanks,

Robert
Constantin (staff)

Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:30 pm

StarWind 5.5 will be released soon.
Upgrade to higher edition of StarWind is very simple - you simply apply new license.
When you`ll do an upgrade you can write an email to our support team, and we`ll be glad to help you.