Image creation Time

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

marcello

Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:51 am

I am testing V5 and have V4 installed on my production servers.
With V4 creating an image (normal or Raid-1) is very simple and fast because you have the possibility to fill new files with zeros or not.
With V5 creating any kind of synchronizing images (HA or Raid-1) will last a incredible long time.
First I tried to create HA images (size 1.6 TB for my File-Servers) which will last up to 52 hours !!!
Then I tried the same creating Raid-1 Files with only 100GB - this will last up to 3 hours.
(The first time I thougth the program was crashed because the progress shown by the progress bar stucks at the end and nothing happend for three hours.)
The problem is that you cannot use the mirrored files until they finished synchronizing.
Did I something wrong ?
Why is it not possible anymore to decide wether to fill with zeros or not because I thing that is the main reason for this.
Constantin (staff)

Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:35 pm

When you create HA devices/RAID1 devices there are options:
Fullsync
Fastsync
Don`t sync
Delete all
If you will use fast sync or don`t sync at all, you will only have to wait until images will be created.
marcello

Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:53 pm

Sorry but I dont have this oportunities

I Have only : "Synchronize mirrors data" or "Clear mirrors (WARNING: All data will be deleted!)"

I have V5.2 Build 210
Constantin (staff)

Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:57 pm

Yes, for RAID there are only this two options - first is synchronize and second is to fill with zeroes.
marcello

Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:06 pm

Both oportunities (Sync or Clear) last the same long time (3-4 hours for 100GB).
With Version 4 I do not have such a problem. This is only in V5
Constantin (staff)

Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:39 pm

If you sync it - you copy data from active to passive, if delete - you delete all data. In v4 you could only create device. We changed default policy for better data security.