Please create sticky thread for new versions w/release notes

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

adns

Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:35 pm

I found out from a random thread that 5.2 was released. Can someone please make a sticky thread that has each version with the release notes and a link to the download? Should be simple enough to do and it will go a long way to informing us users as to what bugs have been fixed and what features have been released. We have a customer that's been living with a bug and if it's fixed in this new release then we need to know!
Constantin (staff)

Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:23 am

In Q1 we will release StarWind 5.5, and the same day I`ll create an announcement on forum, so stay with us.
adns

Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:27 pm

What about 5.2, is there anywhere where we can find the release notes? What bugs were fixed and what features were added?
Constantin (staff)

Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:29 pm

I`ll publish it when StarWind 5.5 will be released.
adns

Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:22 pm

You don't seem to understand how critical an update is in the real business world where we have production environments to manage. Right now the only version that I am able to download is 5.2 as I don't see any other way to download previous versions. So before we will be comfortable taking a chance on a new build we need to know what was addressed from the previous version to the new one. Your customers should not have to internally beta test new releases that have bugfixes (or potential new bugs) that they don't even know about.

If StarWind wants to develop commercial software then it needs to learn to follow some of the best practices of commercial developers. Let's take a look at one of StarWind's partners VMware. When they release any update they post a knowledge base article on the update that gives us all the information we need to determine if we need are willing to take production machines down to install that update or not. For example here is a post for a patch included in vSphere Update 1: http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/micros ... Id=1014792

When you start offering features like the big kids in the industry (HA) then it's probably time to consider acting like a big kid. Just my 2 cents...
Last edited by adns on Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Constantin (staff)

Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:26 pm

I perfectly understand how critical an updates are, therefore we will publish full change log with release of StarWind 5.5
adns

Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:09 pm

I'm not trying to be a rebel or anything, I just think this information should be easily accessible, so bear with me!

Here are the release notes I found. For some reason the release notes for 5.5 are in the 5.2 installer so that section may change when it actually is released.

=== StarWind iSCSI SAN Software Release Notes ===

Version 5.5 build 2010-01-26 (Version ???????)
- Core: CHAP permission fixes
- Core: fixed some issues with ESX task aborts
- Plugins: "auto synchronization after failure" feature is implemented for HA
- Plugins: caching mode is implemented for Snapshot and CDP, HA

Version 5.2 build 2009-12-28 (Version 5.2.1040.0)
- Core: ACL module fixes
- Core: fixed issues with ESX task aborts
- Mir: 2TB limit is removed
- Plugins: caching mode is implemented for ImageFile, DiskBridge, Mirror
- Fixed some minor issues in Management Console
- New languages were integrated: German, French, Japanese
- StarWind manuals were integrated into the help

Version 5.0 build 2009-10-30 (Version 5.0.1450.0)
- HA: plugin implemented
- New StarWind Management Console
Constantin (staff)

Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:59 am

Final version of StarWind 5.5 was not released yet, so changelog of it is not full for now.