Resize Image File?

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

Chris

Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:09 am

Hi, I got the image file working with cluster configuration. Now my question is if it is possible to resize the image file later. How is the performance using image file?

Thanks
Chris

Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:11 am

Also, do you have any plan to release a Linux version? I hate to run it on Windows.
Val (staff)

Sat Nov 13, 2004 2:39 am

Chris,

If an image file is not fragmented too much, the performance is equal to SPTI one.
But if you base disk is a RAID, using ImageFile can speed up data access. You need add '-asyncmode:yes' parameter to the disk rule in your StarWind.conf file.
So there will be many disk requests being ecxecuted in a moment, while SPTI access is limited by syncronous request sequense.

Yes, it's possible to extend Image Files.
1) The image file's filesystem must be NTFS.
2) Unmount the image and remove it from StarWind device list (or simple stop the service)
3) Expand the image by adding empty space to its tail. (you can siply append an empty image file to the volume)
4) Start StarWind and connect the image file with an initiator.
5) The disk manager will show that the disc has some amount of unused space.
6) Use extend.exe utility from your Windows system32 directory to extend your existing NTFS partition.
Best regards,
Valeriy
Chris

Sat Nov 13, 2004 3:58 am

Well, thanks a lot. I'm evaluating different iscsi target implementing to find a good one for my company. I'm waiting for my gigabit switch to come so I can fully test performance.

Another good implementation is [ ... ], which costs only $1400 for unlimited client and server license. I do believe it has full SCSI release/reserve implementation. How do you position your self to compete with it?

Thanks
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Sat Nov 13, 2004 11:31 am

We're beating them on price, performance, features and support. They are not able to catch up with supported target hardware and every their release has something we had long time ago. Also they seems to have not so many resources so they are simply recycling other companies products inside their solution. F.e. they do not have own iSCSI initiator and make use of MS one, instead of implementing complete volume snapshot and incremental backup at SCSI device emulation level they are forcing their users to use Microsoft Volume Snapshot Services at his side. Limiting supported OSes choice at initiator side and totally breaking iSCSI idea -- INTEROPERABILITY. The same with MPIO.

From now the only useful thing they have -- complete IP v6 support. So if you're running out of 32-bit IP addresses inside your company private LAN you're welcomed to *test* their IP v6 implementation.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:40 am

Yes, it's possible to extend Image Files.
1) The image file's filesystem must be NTFS.
2) Unmount the image and remove it from StarWind device list (or simple stop the service)
3) Expand the image by adding empty space to its tail. (you can siply append an empty image file to the volume)
4) Start StarWind and connect the image file with an initiator.
5) The disk manager will show that the disc has some amount of unused space.
6) Use extend.exe utility from your Windows system32 directory to extend your existing NTFS partition.
How exactly do you complete step #3?

Brandon,
Val (staff)

Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:06 pm

Hi Brandon,

It's a good question. :)

I did it as follows:
- Created an empty file image with mksparse.exe.
- Appended the image to the target image file with the FAR Manager. I guess some other utilities can do this job too.
(We'll add the extend feature to our mksparse.exe in the next StarWind release)

Then mounted the expanded image to StarWind and connect an initiator to it.

After that use DiskPart.exe to extend the volume.
Best regards,
Valeriy

Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:16 pm

I'm glad you're going to add this feature to mksparse.exe
I tried FAR manager and a few others. These are not user friendly applications. Any idea when the next version will be out (I realize you just recently released new code) or perhaps just an updated version of mksparse.exe could be made availabe?

Brandon,
Val (staff)

Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:26 pm

Brandon,

I think we could add the feature to mksparse.exe in a day or two if you urgently need it.
Best regards,
Valeriy

Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:56 pm

Don't rush on my behalf. I'm not in dire need of this utility. I'm going through the exploration process to see what solutions are best in some of my server setups. Easily expanding an image is a feature that would be very handy.

Please don't rush development just because I asked. I can wait.

Brandon,
Val (staff)

Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:07 pm

Brandon,

OK. We'll notify you just the updated utility is ready.

Thank you for your feedback.

We're trying to do our best to make our products better.
Best regards,
Valeriy
Val (staff)

Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:59 am

Brandon,

if you need the updated mksparse.exe, please drop me an email and I'll send it to you.

The new mksparse.exe v1.1 can extend images in addition to other functions.
Best regards,
Valeriy

Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:06 am

valery:

Thanks for the utility. Works as advertised :D

Brandon,
Val (staff)

Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:57 am

Hi Brandon,

Glad to hear it works for you.

Thank you for the feedback.
Best regards,