the target is not available aftrer a reboot!

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

Parham

Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:40 pm

Hi,

I have StarWind Free (5.0.0.832) installed on a machine with Windows 7 Ultimate x64 (Host).
Then I created a new Virtual Disk as the target.
On a disk-less PC (Client) with the help of gPXE, booted the system with the target created above on the Host. Then installed the Windows on the client without any problem. 8) I have many Windows restarts and shut-downs on the client without any problem and every time windows started normally from that iSCSI target.
.... We have a reboot on the Host (Which the SW is installed and the target image file is hosted on it) while The Client was running and connected to the target. :?
After that we find that the client can't connect to the target and boot! Checked the StarWind service, It was running. So i tried to connect to the target using Windows iSCSI Initiator but had no success!
Why?
I had the Write-through caching enabled for that Virtual disk Image file.

Regards,
Parham.

* It seems that I can't view the free version forum and post on it after registration on the forums: You do not have the required permissions to read topics within this forum :!:
Last edited by Parham on Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Parham

Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:16 pm

It seems that after every Restart/Shut down of the target machine I should restart the StarWind service manually to make it available.
TheEniGMa

Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:06 pm

Got the same problem on Windows Server 2008 R2. The Starwind service seems to be running but I need to manualy stop/start the service before I can log on to the target.
Constantin (staff)

Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:41 pm

Please, send us logs using support form on our site. We will investigate the case and inform you about the reason of it.
anonim

Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:59 pm

Did anyone send in their logs? I'm using what I believe is the latest version and am still experiencing this issue. If no one responds, I'll go ahead and send my logs in a day or two.. thanks.
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:35 pm

Please make sure you have the most recent build and if yes, please send us logs so we could take a look. Thanks!
anonim wrote:Did anyone send in their logs? I'm using what I believe is the latest version and am still experiencing this issue. If no one responds, I'll go ahead and send my logs in a day or two.. thanks.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

anonim

Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:19 pm

I did not have the latest build installed. I just downloaded and installed version 5.3.1310 (build 20100402). It picked up my previous image-based drive, but the installation had a message about existing HA devices not being upgraded automatically, so I decided to delete the old image drive and recreate a new one. I then removed the existing iSCSI settings from the client PC and reconfigured it to connect to the new image.

I performed a reboot of the host PC while the client PC was running, and the connection was restored without having to manually restart the StarWind service on the host. So, it appears the issue has been fixed in this build. I see that the StarWind service has a startup type of Automatic (Delayed Start) instead of Automatic with my previous version. I had actually tried changing the startup type of the previous version, thinking it may resolve this issue, but I was unable to do so. After some Googling, I determined that changing the startup type of any service to Delayed Start was not supported.

Hopefully this will help someone.
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:26 pm

StarWind V5.xx and up officially support Windows 2008 only. Working under Windows 2003 and non-server versions is possible but with some issues... Lack of "Delayed Start" in Windows 2003 is a very good example.
anonim wrote:I did not have the latest build installed. I just downloaded and installed version 5.3.1310 (build 20100402). It picked up my previous image-based drive, but the installation had a message about existing HA devices not being upgraded automatically, so I decided to delete the old image drive and recreate a new one. I then removed the existing iSCSI settings from the client PC and reconfigured it to connect to the new image.

I performed a reboot of the host PC while the client PC was running, and the connection was restored without having to manually restart the StarWind service on the host. So, it appears the issue has been fixed in this build. I see that the StarWind service has a startup type of Automatic (Delayed Start) instead of Automatic with my previous version. I had actually tried changing the startup type of the previous version, thinking it may resolve this issue, but I was unable to do so. After some Googling, I determined that changing the startup type of any service to Delayed Start was not supported.

Hopefully this will help someone.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software