Xenserver + Starwind for DR?

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

JoeKane

Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:33 pm

Hi,

I have been trailing starwind with Citrix Xenserver 5.5 and am very impressed by its ease of use and features.

I'm planning on putting the following into production and was wondering if this is possible using SW

I want to have,

2x Xenserver's (Dell PowerEdge R710's)
2x SW Servers (Dell PowerEdge R610's) (6x 300GB 10K SAS Drives RAID 50)

I want to use the 1st Xen & SW servers for all VM's over iSCSI and the 2nd Xen and SW for DR.

So the First SW will relicate all VM's to the 2nd and I can relicate the MetaData from Xenserver 1 to Xenserver 2
In case of DR I can switch on the 2nd Xenserver and connect the Storage Repository from the second SW server.

Hope that makes sense. Is this possible.

Thanks, Joe
a7004

Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:25 am

Create a Pool with xenserver1 and xenserver2 that use the same default sr StarWind1.

Create a second sr with StarWind2.

StarWind1 works mirroring everything to StarWind2.

If you have one problem with xenserver1, you can use xenserver2.

If you have one problem with StarWind1, you can use StarWind2.

It's more simple like solution imho.

Andrea V.
mogulbumm

Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:23 pm

Does Starwind support the XenServer Storagelink in Citrix Essentials? For example, if you have multiple XenServers in a farm, would you configure each of them with Starwind1 and Starwind2 for example? I know that HA isn't inherently supported yet, but would that work in a farm of, for example, 5 XenServers?
a7004

Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:48 am

No, StarWind 5 does not support Storage Link.

Attach a StarWind storage is very simple. From XenCenter, select New Storage Repository and in five seconds, you have the new storage available for the guest VM.

Every XenServer host must have an unique IScsi IQN.

StarWind 5 works fine with XenServer 5.5

I use a pool with 4 Xenserver host and like Iscsi Storage, the StarWind server.
Constantin (staff)

Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:53 pm

Our R&D team has way to implement SW HA + Xen Server. For this you have to do following:
in StarWind.cfg file: find string <!-- Allow listing of interfaces in response to SendTargets=All --> and change next string follow way <iScsiDiscoveryListInterfaces value="1"/>
Than open regedit.exe and go to [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Services\StarPort\Parameters] and chance option of MaxBufferSize from 0x10000 to 0x80000. Restart the server.