ESX 4.0, iSCSI add Storage error

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

nextsys

Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:09 am

Installed Starwind 5.0 on Windows 2008 R2 server, disabled firewall in Windows for initial config. I created Target Volume in Starwind, shows as LUN0 and Active.

On ESX 4.0 server
Using the vShere client I created VMkernal Port for iSCSI, enabled Software iSCSI Client in Security Profile/Firewall Properties settings. I added iSCSI Software Storage Adapter, went through Dynamic Discovery Process for iSCSI Initiator Properties, scanned the newly created iSCSI storage adapter for the discovered Target and it shows as ROCKET iSCSI disk. Rescanned the iSCSI device and it shows the the iSCSI volume I created in Starwind with correct capacity. When I go to create a VMFS partition under Storage, it shows ROCKET iSCSI disk ( eui.....), Location /vmfa/devices/disks/eui....), The hard disk is blank.
After the Loading .... screen I get the following error;
Error during the configuration of the host: Failed to get disk partition information.

The thing I did notice in vSphere client under Storage Adapters, iSCSI, View, Paths, for device ROCKET iSCSI ... it shows
vmhba33:c0:t0:lO
Target :
LUN 0
Status Dead

I think it show show "Disk" for Target no and the Status of Dead is incorrect as well?

Any help would greatly be appreciated. From the research I have done I might have to try to format from console using FDISK?

Thanks
nextsys

Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:20 am

Well problem solved, ESX server decided to cooperate after a night of being very stubborn. Not sure why it would not cooperate at for hours, then all of a sudden work. Firewall is back on the Win 2k8r2 server and everything is working the way it should.
Robert (staff)

Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:41 am

:)

Thanks.
Robert
StarWind Software Inc.
http://www.starwindsoftware.com