Windows 2003 cluster

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

mike

Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:41 pm

I'm trying to setup a test environment for a Windows 2003 cluster. I have 1 domain controller, 2 clustered servers and a winxp pc acting as storage unit. On the storage unit I have an unformated SCSI disk that I was able to attach to one of the cluster node using Starwin and Starport. I did the partitioning and formating from the node and it worked wonderfull. Now I'm trying now to attach the same drive to the second node and I got stack....
Any hint ??? Should I use IMG files ?? and if so how do you create it ?
Val (staff)

Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:20 pm

mike wrote:I'm trying to setup a test environment for a Windows 2003 cluster. I have 1 domain controller, 2 clustered servers and a winxp pc acting as storage unit. On the storage unit I have an unformated SCSI disk that I was able to attach to one of the cluster node using Starwin and Starport. I did the partitioning and formating from the node and it worked wonderfull. Now I'm trying now to attach the same drive to the second node and I got stack....
Any hint ??? Should I use IMG files ?? and if so how do you create it ?
Mike,

Current StarWind version supports clustering (RESERVE/RELEASE) only for ImageFile devices.
Please look at the link to get more info about this:
http://www.starwindsoftware.com/forums/ ... c.php?t=84

Sharing of a hard drive with SPTI mode currently simply redirect all the SCSI opcodes to the device.
So it's up to the device to support RESERVE/RELEASE opcodes.
If the device does support them, so it will work in MS clustering environment.
But to allow multiple connections to the device you need to add '-sessions:X' to the 'add' tag for the device inside the StarWind.conf file and restart the service. (where X = 1-256)

I'd suggest you to use ImageFiles to share your storage (at least for now).
Best regards,
Valeriy

Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:17 pm

Thanks. I found a way to create a 5GB Image File and attached the 2 cluster members to it javascript:emoticon(':D')
Very Happy
Val (staff)

Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:44 pm

Anonymous wrote:Thanks. I found a way to create a 5GB Image File and attached the 2 cluster members to it javascript:emoticon(':D')
Very Happy
Good news!

Please let us know if you have any questions or troubles with our software.
Best regards,
Valeriy
Chris

Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:27 am

This is interesting. So if I have a SCSI array attached to it which supports release/reserve, I can use it instead of image files?

Chris
Val (staff)

Sat Nov 13, 2004 1:59 am

Chris wrote:This is interesting. So if I have a SCSI array attached to it which supports release/reserve, I can use it instead of image files?

Chris
Chris,

Yes, if your hardware supports RESERVE/RELEASE it should work in such a configuration.
Best regards,
Valeriy