Problems in windows 2000 installation

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

Tofanelli

Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:23 pm

Hi

I'm having some troubles to install Starwind on windows 2000 SP4....

Error 1
Error 2
Error 3
Error 4

Translation of last image

No conecttion can be done because the target machine actively refused.

Logged with Administrator account.... SP4 installed.... do I need some patch or anything else???

Thanks!

PS: and no... the image of ""error 3"" is not the same of ""error 1"". I received it twice.
Robert (staff)

Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:06 am

I'm afraid that StarWind will not work with Windows 2000 :(

thanks.
Robert
StarWind Software Inc.
http://www.starwindsoftware.com
Buldozer

Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:55 pm

Finally found a solution... but needs a little bit of hex editing.

Actually I needed the same thing - Starwind running under windows 2000. Well, just half an hour ago I managed to get it fixed. It's just a matter of linker StarWind Software is using, which sets the header of exe to minimally need Windows XP. The appropriate exe header sections, which should be fixed are 'OS Major version number' - change from 6 to 4, 'Image Version Number' - change from 6 to 0, and 'Subsystem version number' - change from 6 to 4. Use a tool like HIEW or WinHex or any other hex editor, which has some sort of knowledge about exe headers.

After the exe is fixed, you should install it as a service, which can be done with 'StarWindService.exe --name StarWind --install' (Without the quotes, and executed inside the Starwind installation folder).

... there is still a smaller problem (which I think could be fixed without too much of a problem) of one import from Kernel32.dll - namely SetFileValidData, so windows will complain at startup of the service (you just need to press OK). The service works as expected even without the import.

Greets, Toni
Robert (staff)

Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:48 pm

Please note that this instruction and recomendation is followed at your own risk. We cannot garantee the stable work as well as data consistency on the targets that are created on this OS.

Thanks.
Robert
StarWind Software Inc.
http://www.starwindsoftware.com