Newbie Startup

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

mediadogg

Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:49 pm

Sorry for the diversion, but I'm having typical newbie kinds of "isn't that obvious, why didn't you read the manual issues .." :wink:

Everything is so new: this technology and terminology ...

Anyway, I have two systems running MS Server 2003 (WIndows Home Server).

On IP 192.168.1.113
- I installed Starwind, entered the license key and added a couple of test devices.
- Changed the connection user and password to match the administrative ID on both boxes

On IP 192.168.1.104
- I installed MS iSCSI Initiator

The servers are hardwired thru a Gigabit switch and connectivity is working and established for all other activities (no I have not done the IP Optimization yet).

When I run the iSCSI Initiator on 192.168.1.104, I am not able to discover any of the target devices when I enter the IP address: 192.168.1.113. Instead, I get "connection failed". Since I am not using CHAP, I am assuming that authentication is being done using the Administrator ID and password, but I have no clue f this is correct.

Any ideas of what I am doing wrong? I do not get any port forwarding warnings from my router or port monitor software nor any access warnings from McAfee.
bboule

Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:20 pm

Mediadog,

Can you confirm that all firewalls are turned off, or that you have opened port 3260 for incoming and outgoing traffic?

Thanks!

Bob
mediadogg

Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:38 pm

bboule wrote:Mediadog,

Can you confirm that all firewalls are turned off, or that you have opened port 3260 for incoming and outgoing traffic?

Thanks!

Bob
Nope I didn't do that. I expected the installation to do that, or that somebody would complain. Let me check and I'll update this post. Thanks.

Yup, that was it. Somehow I had expected to be warned of a request to use a closed port, but I guess not. Anyway, I was able to discover my targets, initailize and format the drives and write data.

So, now my hammer is working ... looking for nails ... :lol:
bboule

Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:03 pm

Excellent, glad to hear you are up and running, let us know if we can offer any additional assistance.

Best Regards,

Bob
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:56 am

== thread closed ==
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software