create img disk

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

headshot

Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:40 pm

hi,

Im new to all this and just trying to learn, could anyone tell me how to create an img file on the disk so I can add it in the wizard, realise this is probably a really daft question bit Ive no idea how to do it and cannot find the answer in the forum :? :oops:

thanks to anyone who can help

John
bdearlove

Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:27 pm

In the wizard you have the option to create a img file, by default it asks if you want to attach an img file, but below that option is create new img file. When creating it be sure to give it the extension .img, by default it doesn't enter it in.
headshot

Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:55 am

Hi bdearlove,

Thanx for your reply; thats what I was doing, hence the confusion as it kept coming up with an error everytime I tried to create it in the wizard.

The hard drive had been partitioned and formated in windows but it wouldnt allow me to create an img file on them, I downloaded the v2v converter, removed the partitions, then created them again in windows but didnt format them, formated them with v2v and it worked fine. I'm not sure if this is the way its supposed to be done or if its just me but thought I'd post this in case anyone else had the same problem in the future :)

John
Robert (staff)

Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:47 pm

iSCSI Naming RFC (can't remeber the number) has some restrictions in iscsi targets' naming. If the above happens, simply try to specify a different target name. If it still does not help, send us an e-mail to support@starwindsoftware.com or submit your post here: http://www.starwindsoftware.com/support

Robert
StarWind Software Inc.
http://www.starwindsoftware.com