Specifying a Network

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

Gary M

Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:01 pm

We currently are setting up your StarPort Professional in our office and I have a question on the networking:

In our StarWind server we have a two private networks set up:

Company Domain Network (192. series) - which allows us to access this server remotely, connect to the internet, etc...

ISCSI Network (10. series) - which is a seperate GB network just for ISCSI - We currently have 2 - 4 port GB Intel nics teamed for 8 gb of bandwith to a GB switch.

The question is there way configure StarWind / StarPort to only uses the 10. network and not by pass this high bandwith through the 192. network?

Let me say that I set the interface to the 10. ip address of the StarWind server and then tested if I could access a ISCSI device through the 192. network and was able to. Is there a setting to only use a specified adapter or is a matter of blocking the ISCSI port on the 192. network?

Thanks,

Gary
Robert (staff)

Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:01 pm

Hello Gary,

You can manually edit the configuration file in order to "bind" StarWind to separate network interfaces. The configuration file is located at C:\Program Files\StarWind Software\StarWind\starwind.cfg

The configuration file has plenty of comments, so it should not be difficult, i.e.

<connections>
<!--Port number for iSCSI connectons (default 3260)-->
<!-- <Port value="3260"/> -->
<!--Interface to listen to. "0.0.0.0" corresponds to "listen to all interfaces".-->
<!-- <Interface value="192.168.1.234"/> -->
<!--Port number for Control connectons (default 3261)-->
<!-- <CtlPort value="3261"/> -->
<!--Interface to listen to Control connections. "0.0.0.0" corresponds to "listen to all interfaces".-->
<!-- <CtlInterface value="0.0.0.0"/> -->
<connection value="192.168.32.1:3260"/>
<connection value="192.168.1.234:3260"/>
</connections>

<connection value="192...." will let StarWind "listen" to the specific IP addresses only.

Just uncomment the needed connection values and ip addresses and add additional if needed, save the file and restart starwind service in task management.

Also, it is possible to set Permissions for the specific Connection or a device. Just right click on the target or a connection and select “Permissions”.

Thanks
Rob
Robert
StarWind Software Inc.
http://www.starwindsoftware.com