Trial speeds? Trial Limitations?

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

dakota

Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:36 pm

Okay, first part: Speeds.

I've setup the program on my dell server, now, i know it's a bit older (PowerEdge 6400) but it can still push a solid 100 - 120 MB/sec disk read speed and up to 75 MB/sec over gigabit lan, and direct file transfers on my gigabit lan i see typically anywhere from 50 MB/sec up to 75 MB/sec depending on the size of the file i'm transfering.

Soo figured i'd try out your new software, and so far, I am impressed, but also slightly disapointed at the same time.

First, server uses 4 pentium3 cpu's @ 900mhz and has 16gb of ram, not fast ram, but still 800 MB/sec, which i thought, is much faster than gigabit speed, so should still be sufficient. so i first tried to create a virtual disk via iScsi and ram drive option, basic 1000mb disk.

Client on the other end is a 3800mhz core2quad running vista ultimate 32-bit. Got the drive from the dell server via iscsi initiator, found it in disk management, partitioned, formatted, works like a normal hard drive, except: it seems hard-locked at 10-12 MB/sec, according to 5 different hard drive speed programs. I've watched the dell server via remote desktop when doing the tests, it's only 10% - 12% utilization on the gigabit nic, and only 2% - 7% cpu utilization across all 4 cpu's so nothing's getting "maxed out" that i can see, is your software hard-coded to only transfer this fast during trial? Or is my hardware on the server just too ancient?

Also, the dell server is using a PCI-X version of intel's Pro series 1000 MT server adaptors, and the desktop is using the PCI-Express 1x version of intel's Pro series Server adaptors. Both computers have current intel drivers for their respective OS and all TCP offloading options are enabled. Using 2 Netgear 8-port gigabit switches to connect it (dell's on the other end of the house...)

Another option, through some trial and error i'm realizing you're intending us to only be able to create 2gb virtual disk images using the trial. Well, it works, to some degree, if you try to create more than that it comes up with some test failed error. But i've found you can create a 1000mb disk image, then once it's mounted and connected, you can right-click and go to "Extend Size" and type in for instance, 40,000 and make it 40gb and it works perfectly. :mrgreen: You might want to fix this if you're actually trying to limit people in trial :roll: ;) The ram disks are hard-locked at 1951mb though.

dakota

Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:17 am

Fixed it on my own, set up a dedicated gigabit link between the server and my desktop via a cat-6 patch cable wired in crossover, and enabled jumbo frames and checked out the tcp/ip stack tweaks thread and works great now. Awesome program guys!

So i had a 100gb virtual hard drive, gets good speeds now, 50-70 MB/sec, and i kept thinking "I can make a ram drive too.. but what can i do with 1.9gb of space... all my games and programs are much larger" when it dawned on me, went to properties on the drive.. and sure enough! windows vista will use a iscsi ram-based drive through starwind as ReadyBoost! works too!

check out my ram-drive speed now that it's tweaked:
Robert (staff)

Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:00 am

Hello,

Thank you for the provided information and tests.

You are right, you can extend the size of the image file to 100 GB using the free version, but after the PC reboots - it won't mount again.

As for the RAM drive device, the limitation of 2 GB also works for this. If you would like to test RAM drive devices which would me larger than 2 GB, you can try the 15-days trial version. http://www.starwindsoftware.com/download-free-trial

Thanks,
Rob.
Robert
StarWind Software Inc.
http://www.starwindsoftware.com