Virtual Iron and StarWind

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

bfurbee

Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:06 pm

Greeting Everyone,

I am currently in the process of setting up a Virtual Iron environment, and I'm having a problem getting my VI nodes to see the iSCSI volumes available via StarWind.

I'm running Virtual Iron 4.5, and StarWind 4.0.

I have several Image Files created on my StarWind server. I've successfully connected to the iSCSI-published image files from another PC using the MS iSCSI Initiator, so that I know StarWind is working properly.

My VI Center (Virtual Iron's management console) can ping the StarWind server via IP, and it also passes an iSCSI connectivity test (using the VI management console itself). But I can't see any of my iSCSI targets listed.

I'm sure I've overlooked something simple, but after tinkering with it for a day, I appear to be too close to the problem to figure it out.

Any assistance or advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-Brian
Robert (staff)

Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:01 pm

Hello Brian,

Some manual configuration file corrections could be required required sometimes. For this particular case there is the following workaround:

- open C:\Program Files\StarWind Software\StarWind\starwind.cfg
- Find the following parameter: <iScsiDiscoveryListInterfaces value="1"/> and uncomment it (remove “<!--“ in the beginning of the string and “-->” in its end.

Please let me know if this helps.

Thanks,
Rob
Robert
StarWind Software Inc.
http://www.starwindsoftware.com
bfurbee

Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:30 pm

Hi Rob,

Thanks, that did the trick. As soon as I made the change and stopped/restarted the service, the VI node was able to scan and detect the iSCSI volumes being published via StarWind.

Thanks for your help!
-Brian
Robert (staff)

Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:44 am

Brian,

We are glad the issue is resolved.

Please let us know if you have other questions!

Rob
Robert
StarWind Software Inc.
http://www.starwindsoftware.com