Command line parameters / API

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

Nimral

Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:36 pm

Hi support,

I am currently evalating your products StarWind and StarPort. Looks pretty good so far!

Question: we plan to roll out numerous servers (~80) with various iSCSI configurations. To automate the setup procedure I am looking for a command line interface or an API, so I can automate the configuration process for both StarWind and StarPort.

Does StarWind/StarPort support a CLI oder API?

Tanks,

AL.
Robert (staff)

Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:29 pm

Hello AL,

Thank you for using Starwind Software!

We regret that at the moment neither API nor CLI are supported. Our Development Team is working on implementing CLI support, but this will be implemented in the far future. :(

Thanks,
Rob
Robert
StarWind Software Inc.
http://www.starwindsoftware.com
Nimral

Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:44 pm

Robert (staff) wrote:Hello AL,

Thank you for using Starwind Software!

We regret that at the moment neither API nor CLI are supported. Our Development Team is working on implementing CLI support, but this will be implemented in the far future. :(

Thanks,
Rob
Thanks for your quick reply. No setup automation means K.O. for your solution :-( Could I patch configs into the registry and restart iSCSI services or reboot?

AL.
Aitor_Ibarra

Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:36 pm

AL,

Starwind keeps its config in an xml file in the install directory, called starwind.cfg by default. Perhaps you could automate the creation of that file? E.g. rollout your starwind servers with the service disabled, generate the config files, then start the starwind service up...

Here's a snippet from my config:

Code: Select all

<device name="ImageFile0" target="test1" file="My Computer\I\cluster_target.img" asyncmode="yes" clustered="yes" readonly="no"/>
There's a doc file which explains the format of the file, it's in the installation directory.

Disclaimer: I haven't actually tried manually editing the config!

cheers,

Aitor
Robert (staff)

Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:45 pm

AL,

What Aitor describes is the built-in CLI for configuring one host only.

AFAIK, you need to manage 80+ config files which would be very difficult using that option.

Thanks,
Rob
Robert
StarWind Software Inc.
http://www.starwindsoftware.com