ESXi - will not connect...I/O errors

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

kbuchanan

Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:48 pm

I have a call into support, but I am wondering if the general community has had any problems getting the iSCSI target to work with ESXi.

I am running ESXi v3.5 Build 123629 and StarWind 4.0 Build 20090212.

I was able to get it connected earlier, but there was an I/O error (no details...just an IO error). The log file has overwritten, so I don't have the log entry.

Now - it will not connect AT ALL. This was a trial run with this iSCSI target. So far, the performance from my XP machine to the iSCSI target is about 30MBytes/sec...not impressive.

Does anyone have any similar experience? ...how can I improve the performance.
Corpse

Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:55 pm

kbuchanan wrote:I have a call into support, but I am wondering if the general community has had any problems getting the iSCSI target to work with ESXi.

I am running ESXi v3.5 Build 123629 and StarWind 4.0 Build 20090212.

I was able to get it connected earlier, but there was an I/O error (no details...just an IO error). The log file has overwritten, so I don't have the log entry.

Now - it will not connect AT ALL. This was a trial run with this iSCSI target. So far, the performance from my XP machine to the iSCSI target is about 30MBytes/sec...not impressive.

Does anyone have any similar experience? ...how can I improve the performance.
Why don't you try the new 4.0? They have just released it.
jasemccarty

Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:09 pm

Actually, Starwind 4.0 just got released, not an ESXi 4.0 release... ESXi is currently at 3.5 Update 3.

What type of problems are you having?
Robert (staff)

Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:01 pm

Hello kbuchanan,

Thank you for using Stawind Software.

Would it be possible for you to provide some more details on this issue: what is your network configuration, are you using jumbo frames, what are the storage devices you are saving the image files on - are those physical hard drives or some other type of devices?

Thanks,
Rob
Robert
StarWind Software Inc.
http://www.starwindsoftware.com