Error 1314 When Extending Image File

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

masbe

Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:32 pm

Hi!

I'm testing StarWind on Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2. So far so good :)
However, when I extend an image file I get an error even though the file extends OK.

The log shows "SetFileValidData() failed with error 1314!" ... "Could not set valid file data (error 1314)"
"This can lead to long delays in write operations from client machines!"

It sure does! :(

Is there any way to determine the cause of error 1314 :?:

Thanks in advance!
Brian
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:17 pm

Do you have admin access? This is what 1314 says:

//
// MessageId: ERROR_PRIVILEGE_NOT_HELD
//
// MessageText:
//
// A required privilege is not held by the client.
//
#define ERROR_PRIVILEGE_NOT_HELD 1314L

masbe wrote:Hi!

I'm testing StarWind on Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2. So far so good :)
However, when I extend an image file I get an error even though the file extends OK.

The log shows "SetFileValidData() failed with error 1314!" ... "Could not set valid file data (error 1314)"
"This can lead to long delays in write operations from client machines!"

It sure does! :(

Is there any way to determine the cause of error 1314 :?:

Thanks in advance!
Brian
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

masbe

Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:48 am

Hi Anton!

I'm logged on as administrator, so I presume I have admin access?

Brian
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:36 pm

1) Yes of course! Can you also check do you have enough disk space (make sure it's also not quota-limited).

2) Please zip the whole StarWind log and send it to us to support.

Thank you!
masbe wrote:Hi Anton!

I'm logged on as administrator, so I presume I have admin access?

Brian
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

masbe

Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:05 pm

anton (staff) wrote:1) Yes of course!
:D
anton (staff) wrote:Can you also check do you have enough disk space (make sure it's also not quota-limited).
The "disk" is a 1.36TB NTFS formatted Windows RAID5 volume on 4 physical 500GB (dynamic) disks. The volume has two folders in the root of the drive: "TV" and "iSCSI ImageFiles". TV is 502GB total. "iSCSI ImageFiles" is 500GB as it (now) contains a 500GB "test1.img" file. This img file was created as NOT flat and with system file caching enabled (same as the original IMG file which I had the problem expanding).

(Interestingly, Windows reports the drive as having only 502GB used with 894GB free - which isn't right as there should be 502GB (TV folder) + 500GB (test1.img) = 1002GB used and 394GB free. DIR also reports 894GB free. CHKDSK reports no errors.)

Quota management is disabled on this (and all) volume(s).
anton (staff) wrote:2) Please zip the whole StarWind log and send it to us to support@starwind.com
Done! Looking forward to hearing from you!

Best regards,
masbe
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:27 pm

Actually we've stopped using sparse files for production (they will be moved away from V4.0) as they bring A LOT of issues like this.

OK, we'll take a closer look and let you know ASAP. Thank you!
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

masbe

Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:51 pm

anton (staff) wrote:Actually we've stopped using sparse files for production (they will be moved away from V4.0) as they bring A LOT of issues like this.
Interesting, and it makes some sense of what I'm seeing. Is it an NTFS bug i.e. sparse file space being reported incorrectly in the volume information?
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:59 am

Well... I would not call this a "bug" rather "a very questionable feature" :) That's why we've implemented thin-provisioning as part of our CDP engine. At least we have full control over it :)
masbe wrote:
anton (staff) wrote:Actually we've stopped using sparse files for production (they will be moved away from V4.0) as they bring A LOT of issues like this.
Interesting, and it makes some sense of what I'm seeing. Is it an NTFS bug i.e. sparse file space being reported incorrectly in the volume information?
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

thomash

Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:02 pm

Was there any resolution to this?

I get the same error, and it happens after service restart.

If i create a image file i can extend it fine until I stop the StarWind iSCSI Service and start it again, then all the image files is failing extendsion with error 1314.

It is happening even if there isnt any client connected to the image.
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:12 pm

Solution is stop using sparse files on NTFS. Use CDP-based thin provisioning instead of them.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

thomash

Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:31 pm

As i see it the CDP-based ibv's cant be extended, right?

What i need is a iSCSI NTFS drive that can been extended. It is going to be used as storage for a windows 2008 backup with the windows server backup software.

Is there any other way that this software can be used for that purpuse?
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:32 pm

Nope. Twice.

1) CDP works exactly as sparse files - uses COW (Copy-On-Write) when data is actually allocated only if user writes something to the logical blocks region.

2) Image files can be perfectly exteded to any size.
thomash wrote:As i see it the CDP-based ibv's cant be extended, right?

What i need is a iSCSI NTFS drive that can been extended. It is going to be used as storage for a windows 2008 backup with the windows server backup software.

Is there any other way that this software can be used for that purpuse?
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

thomash

Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:35 am

I am not sure i understand your reply, sorry.

What i do is, Add device > Snapshop, CDP & De-Duplication device > Create new image > Type in a name, next > Growing Image, next > next, next, finish.

If i then right click on the newly created IBV0 device and cant find a option for extending the image.

How do i extend it?
Bohdan (staff)
Staff

Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:01 pm

Hi,
Creating of Image File device turns the image extension feature on, but that state will not be remained after reboot. And it is our fault. We are sorry for that. It will be fixed in 4.0 StarWind release.

As a workaround please use the the following method:
Temporarily create any small Image File device (this turns extension feature on), extend your Image File, remove the small Image File device.
thomash

Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:24 pm

I cant get it to work.

What i did was, creating a new image file named FILE1.img (add device > Image File device > Create new > name it, and flag flat image file, next > next, next, next, finish). I can then extend that new image file successfully.

Then i stopped the starwind service, and started it again. And then as you wrote created a new small temp image file named FILE2.img, and then tried to extend the previesly created FILE1.img, but it failed extending with the same error as before:
1/27 13:28:24.295 2a0 IMG: *** ImageFile_SetFileValidData: SetFileValidData() failed with error 1314!
1/27 13:28:24.295 2a0 IMG: *** ImageFile_Extend: Could not set valid file data (error 1314).

Am i misunderstanding your post?

What i realy could use was the ability to create a device that is extendable without error, and can grow on the disk as the device is being filled. Is that possible, and how do i create that device?