"add device" menu item gray out

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

diamondoiona

Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:32 am

Hello,

It is my first to evaluate StarWind. What I am trying to do is: consolidate many server disk partitions together.

I downloaded a evaluation version yesterday, however, I can't create device because "add device" menu item grayed out.

Could you please guide me to get through? [/img]
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:08 am

You did not connect with management console to actual running StarWind service. So it has no clue what you want to manage.
diamondoiona wrote:Hello,

It is my first to evaluate StarWind. What I am trying to do is: consolidate many server disk partitions together.

I downloaded a evaluation version yesterday, however, I can't create device because "add device" menu item grayed out.

Could you please guide me to get through? [/img]
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

raphaf2001

Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:20 am

Anton, perhaps it would be more useful if you pointed to exactly where the information can be found in help, instead of scolding a potential future/or current client? I am in the same boat as the person who posted here. And yes, I am using the "free version", but...:

No company is required to give away software for free, and I am very thankful for the amount of functionality that Starwinds provides as is, but, may I suggest that your documentation, and most importantly the "free" version documentation clearly indicates what can and what cannot be accomplished with the "free version" (A.K.A. crippled)? I wasted a couple of days trying to figure out what I had done wrong only to find these threads explaining that the functionality is restricted in the "free version" (no add device thru the GUI in my case), which, if I remember correctly, when I downloaded, indicated that it was a "fully functional version", which it obviously is not. Just my two cents guys. Thanks for reading. Raphael
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:45 pm

Thank you for bringing back to life 11+ years old thread :)

The only issue with the approach you're suggesting is... it's not going to work AS IS and here's why: We don't really keep functionality still so f.e. few versions back free versions couldn't do HA, then it could, but was capacity limited to 4TB AFAIK and now unlimited, can do all the features and it comes with S2D-style PowerShell management only with GUI being available to the paying customers. But... StarWind Command Center (our new product) will change it and you'll get web-based UI for management (but from the different product) again. I don't see how we could change the documentation back and fwd, if you have ideas I'd be happy to hear. I'll do my best to keep everybody happy :) Thanks again for feedback!
raphaf2001 wrote:Anton, perhaps it would be more useful if you pointed to exactly where the information can be found in help, instead of scolding a potential future/or current client? I am in the same boat as the person who posted here. And yes, I am using the "free version", but...:

No company is required to give away software for free, and I am very thankful for the amount of functionality that Starwinds provides as is, but, may I suggest that your documentation, and most importantly the "free" version documentation clearly indicates what can and what cannot be accomplished with the "free version" (A.K.A. crippled)? I wasted a couple of days trying to figure out what I had done wrong only to find these threads explaining that the functionality is restricted in the "free version" (no add device thru the GUI in my case), which, if I remember correctly, when I downloaded, indicated that it was a "fully functional version", which it obviously is not. Just my two cents guys. Thanks for reading. Raphael
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software