Join SAN to domain or not?

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

defrag

Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:27 pm

Is it best practice to join the SAN to the domain or leave it as a stand-alone server?
aaron (staff)

Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:23 am

Stand-alone server. Outside of the DMZ. And using dedicated wiring (if possible).
Regards,
Aaron Korfer

Sales & Support
Rocket Division Software
Thona

Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:28 am

Domain member ;)

That is, if that gives you something - like the chance to monitor the SAN server using monitoring tools (SCOM - System Center Operations Manager, for example).
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:20 pm

You need to weight all cons and pros. I think you need to have separate network for SAN.
Thona wrote:Domain member ;)

That is, if that gives you something - like the chance to monitor the SAN server using monitoring tools (SCOM - System Center Operations Manager, for example).
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

Thona

Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:06 pm

No discussion on that ;) Separate NETWORK yes ;) But it does not mean that a second controller does not put it into the domain ;)
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:31 pm

OK, but HOW? :)
Thona wrote:No discussion on that ;) Separate NETWORK yes ;) But it does not mean that a second controller does not put it into the domain ;)
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Thona

Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:25 am

What you mean?

By making sure that the two adapters are at least on different switches.
By making sure the domain uses the second adapter for all domain related traffic.

This is Windows Admin 101 (beginner stuff). I have a lot of such servers here.

Basically you remove all domain related bindings from one nic, and then tell windows to use the other one preferably. Done.

Now one is used for domain traffic, and you make sure StarWind binds to the other nic (you CAN limit that on starwind, or?) and set up a DNS name.

Finished.
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:33 pm

You did not get the idea... The whole idea was - have PHYSICALLY different networks for SAN and generic traffic.
Thona wrote:What you mean?

By making sure that the two adapters are at least on different switches.
By making sure the domain uses the second adapter for all domain related traffic.

This is Windows Admin 101 (beginner stuff). I have a lot of such servers here.

Basically you remove all domain related bindings from one nic, and then tell windows to use the other one preferably. Done.

Now one is used for domain traffic, and you make sure StarWind binds to the other nic (you CAN limit that on starwind, or?) and set up a DNS name.

Finished.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Thona

Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:37 am

You did not read. I suggest you try that next time.

What do you think I was talking of when I said "separate NICs". If you have two network cards, those ARE separate networks. Whether you use them on the same IP-Range or not is then a purely cosmetic decision, if you deploy a proper switch - and if that is nt enough, you can actually run that even through diffferent switches.
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:07 am

I do. Having different NICs but recycling switch and recycling wiring is *NOT* having different networks. You create single point of failure (actually multiplying 'em) and overload copper of fiber with iSCSI traffic.

== thread closed ==
Thona wrote:You did not read. I suggest you try that next time.

What do you think I was talking of when I said "separate NICs". If you have two network cards, those ARE separate networks. Whether you use them on the same IP-Range or not is then a purely cosmetic decision, if you deploy a proper switch - and if that is nt enough, you can actually run that even through diffferent switches.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev