Very often corrupt XFS with IBVolume

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

mwozenilek

Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:49 pm

Hi there,

we are using the latest version of StarWind. But it happens from time to time that the XFS filesystem in the IBVolumes is corrupted. This happens very often under high load. :evil:

Does anyone experience the same?

Thanks!
Bohdan (staff)
Staff

Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:09 am

Is it possible for you to send us StarWind logs? So we can discover what's wrong.
mwozenilek

Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:43 am

On Friday i've updated StarWind to the latest build. Now (again!!!) some xfs filesystems stored on IBV volumes have become corrupt!

So, my weekend is messed up because our proxy server (smtp and squid) is completely destroyed (can't find xfs superblock anymore) and i have to reinstall this machine.

Also i've enabled replication mirrors and can see TONS off error messages in the logs regarding these mirrors. If you wan't i can send the log file. At the moment i can't trust these mirrors. :evil:

Sorry, but are you're realy sure that this product is stable??? Do you know that we are using this in productive environment and not at home?

:!: At the moment i can only warn all other users: in a productive environment with high I/O don't use IBV volumes!!! It's definitely not CDP!!! Use ordinary IMG files instead as they are quite stable.

Bye,

A frustrated user
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:31 pm

We don't have any open issues with CDP and snapshots except your case.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

Bohdan (staff)
Staff

Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:14 pm

We need your logs to find what's wrong. Please zip and send us (support@rocketdivision.com) logs from C:\Program Files\Rocket Division Software\StarWind\logs\ directory.
Also we need as much information as possible about the configuration you are trying to create with the StarWind and the information about your hardware on StarWind machine and client machine(s).
Thank you.
Oh, and what is your Linux distribution?
mwozenilek

Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:37 am

I've send you the logs ... hope they could help. After a complete crash and forced reboot of the StarWind server (BlueScreen) caused by the StarWind service the remaining ibv volume (others are completely lost) seems to be ok.
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:45 pm

StarWind service is a user-mode application doing user-mode disk I/O and send/receive via sockets... It *CANNOT* make your machine BSOD, it's not kernel-mode driver. If it still happens this means there's something wrong with the NIC drivers or disk I/O subsystem (buggy drivers I guess) and StarWind just "helps" to put machine down but it's not nececessry a real source.
mwozenilek wrote:I've send you the logs ... hope they could help. After a complete crash and forced reboot of the StarWind server (BlueScreen) caused by the StarWind service the remaining ibv volume (others are completely lost) seems to be ok.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software