Cannot mount with MS iSCSI initiator, but StarPort works?

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

warhed

Fri May 02, 2008 5:58 am

Hello,

I was able to create a Starwind test disk and the MS iSCSI initiator can see the image from both the local machine and the remote machines.

However, I cannot mount or do anything with the drives. Am I supposed to with the MS iSCSI Initiator or must I use a product like Starport? If so that seems very strange.

Thanks
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Fri May 02, 2008 6:31 pm

1) Any initiator should work.

2) "I cannot mount or do anything..." does not sound like a good issue description. What EXACTLY fails for you?
warhed wrote:Hello,

I was able to create a Starwind test disk and the MS iSCSI initiator can see the image from both the local machine and the remote machines.

However, I cannot mount or do anything with the drives. < text removed >

Thanks
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

warhed

Fri May 02, 2008 6:41 pm

Using starport I can mount the starwind image, open disk manager and format the drive and use it.

With the MS initiator I cannot do anything. It starts......that's it. Is there something I need to do to point it to the image and mount the Starwind image?
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Fri May 02, 2008 7:10 pm

Do you have other iSCSI target to check? Maybe it's just MS iSCSI FUBAR?
warhed wrote:Using starport I can mount the starwind image, open disk manager and format the drive and use it.

With the MS initiator I cannot do anything. It starts......that's it. Is there something I need to do to point it to the image and mount the Starwind image?
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

warhed

Fri May 02, 2008 11:06 pm

I used Starport and that works fine. Maybe I just don't know how to use the MS Initiator? it see's everything, but maybe I am supposed to mount it after that? Not sure.
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Sat May 03, 2008 4:35 pm

Probably... We're not Microsoft so cannot tell you how to use MS iSCSI initiator.
warhed wrote:I used Starport and that works fine. Maybe I just don't know how to use the MS Initiator? it see's everything, but maybe I am supposed to mount it after that? Not sure.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

warhed

Sat May 03, 2008 4:53 pm

It works. You do have to mount it in the MS Initiator.

After adding the file in the Discovery Tab, choose the Target Tab, Log On, Check Automatically restore this connection when the system boots.

That seemed to do it for some reason.
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Sat May 03, 2008 9:33 pm

Did it drop the connection after reboot or what? You should be able to log on even w/o re-connect enabled...
warhed wrote:It works. You do have to mount it in the MS Initiator.

After adding the file in the Discovery Tab, choose the Target Tab, Log On, Check Automatically restore this connection when the system boots.

That seemed to do it for some reason.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

warhed

Sun May 04, 2008 1:58 am

Sorry, you do not need to choose "Automatically restore this connection when the system reboots"

Just choose logon then OK.

However, after logging on, then logging off on one machine, then loggin on with another machine, then logging off, I can no longer Log On with the original machine. Says "Service unavailable"

Choosing to restart the Starwind service corrects this but that doesn't seem right.
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Sun May 04, 2008 9:57 am

Need StarWind logs. W/o them cannot say anything.
warhed wrote:Sorry, you do not need to choose "Automatically restore this connection when the system reboots"

Just choose logon then OK.

However, after logging on, then logging off on one machine, then loggin on with another machine, then logging off, I can no longer Log On with the original machine. Says "Service unavailable"

Choosing to restart the Starwind service corrects this but that doesn't seem right.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev