Digital CD Playback?

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

mprowe

Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:31 am

Hi,

The target has a SCSI CD that supports "Digital CD Playback" (as reported in Device manager | Properties | Properties).
This CD is exposed via the StarWind SPTI function.
The initiator logs on to this SPTI target via the MS iSCSI Initiator successfully.
The "Digital CD Playback" is unavailable to the initiator machine (as reported in Device Manager).

Can anyone offer any advice on resolving this problem?
Is it a problem? Should I expect to be able to play an audio CD via a StarWind/MS iSCSI connection?

Which end of the connection is likely to be the problem?

Regards,

Martin
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:31 pm

Have to work just fine. It's only a SCSI command to play/stop. Passed completely transparently from initiator side to the target.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

mprowe

Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:50 am

anton (staff) wrote:Have to work just fine. It's only a SCSI command to play/stop. Passed completely transparently from initiator side to the target.
Thank you for a prompt reply. However, could I ask you to expand?

Are you saying that it is only the CD transport commands (such as play/stop) that are passed over the iSCSI layer? Or ...

Are you saying that just because the initiator reports that the "Digital CD Playback" flag is not set does not mean that there is a problem?

If it is the latter, shouldn't the device properties be transferred in the relevant CDB to the initiator?

Regards,

Martin
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:56 am

We translate every SCSI command to the drive AS IS. So it's really MSiSCSI issue mangling response in some way. Try using other iSCSI initiator, maybe StarPort. At least you'd isolate initiator from the "suspected" list.
mprowe wrote:
anton (staff) wrote:Have to work just fine. It's only a SCSI command to play/stop. Passed completely transparently from initiator side to the target.
Thank you for a prompt reply. However, could I ask you to expand?

Are you saying that it is only the CD transport commands (such as play/stop) that are passed over the iSCSI layer? Or ...

Are you saying that just because the initiator reports that the "Digital CD Playback" flag is not set does not mean that there is a problem?

If it is the latter, shouldn't the device properties be transferred in the relevant CDB to the initiator?

Regards,

Martin
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

mprowe

Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:29 pm

Hi Anton,

Thank you for the advice. Swapped to the trial StarPort: no difference.

However, I think I may be chasing a "non-event"? I now, don't think that the "Digital CD Playback" flag is a property of the CD-ROM (and retrievable from the drives firmware)? On investigation, I think this function is an arbitrary entry in the Windows cdrom.inf file.

Thus, in my case I think I had one system (the target) with an updated cdrom.inf that said that the CD was capable of digital audio extraction and the other (the initiator) with a standard cdrom.inf that was saying that that make/model of CD does not support DAE.

Unless anyone knows different, I think this thread is closed.

Regards,

Martin
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:36 pm

It's 1st bit of the 5th byte in the "mechanical options" page. Windows may keep track of this feature itself and not check for the real option (asking the drive). What if you mount the same drive locally (where initiator runs)?
mprowe wrote:Hi Anton,

Thank you for the advice. Swapped to the trial StarPort: no difference.

However, I think I may be chasing a "non-event"? I now, don't think that the "Digital CD Playback" flag is a property of the CD-ROM (and retrievable from the drives firmware)? On investigation, I think this function is an arbitrary entry in the Windows cdrom.inf file.

Thus, in my case I think I had one system (the target) with an updated cdrom.inf that said that the CD was capable of digital audio extraction and the other (the initiator) with a standard cdrom.inf that was saying that that make/model of CD does not support DAE.

Unless anyone knows different, I think this thread is closed.

Regards,

Martin
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

mprowe

Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:23 pm

anton (staff) wrote:It's 1st bit of the 5th byte in the "mechanical options" page.
Hi Anton,

Thank you for the correction. Very Helpful. I don't suppose I could press you for a reference (www.t10.org/<something>)?
What if you mount the same drive locally (where initiator runs)?
I'm away for awhile now. I'd like to do the swap you suggest and continue this thread when I return if I may.

Regards,

Martin
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:18 pm

Read this:

http://www.t11.org/t10/drafts/mmc3/mmc3r10g.pdf

You need page 2Ah (draft page 311).
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev