Idea for a new StarWind "edition" type

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

simonmac

Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:08 pm

We currently use Professional edition for the snapshot functionality.

However this presents a problem with "offline" restoration of the IBVs.

Imagine the scenario, you have a bunch of live servers running from a single StarWind target, these are backed up to a backup server periodically. A user wants a specific file restored from a while ago.

Currently the only way to achieve this is to add a new read only device on the live server, and attach via ISCSI.

I see a few problems here:

1) You are manipulating StarWind on an extremely critical machine. Admitedly the Admin should know what he's doing, but one false move and you could potentially bring down all your servers.

2) If the StarWind server is using a dedicated network, to restore the file you would need to use one of the live servers to connect the ISCSI initiator.

A simple solution I can see is to have a reduced price "Restore Edition". This would be limited to only be able to serve read only devices, but critically would support Snapshots, unlike the Personal or Server editions. And could be installed on the backup server to allow an Admin to add the device without touching the live server.

I have also mentioned via email another alternative, which would be a tool similar to Microsoft's VHDMount to allow the IBVS to be mounted directly.

I hope you appreciate the feedback. :wink:

Simon
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:05 am

We'll think about this one however for now you can just apply for extra free license as we do understand making you buy extra Pro one is ripping you off :( Drop us a message to support@rocketdivision.com with your purchase details. Thank you!
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software