Using Replication

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

eric

Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:11 am

Hello,

I have a Mirror setup between two images files on two machines. One image file is on the same machine (Machine A) as the .mir file and the other image file is on another machine (Machine B). If Machine A is down how do I make the mirrored image file on Machine B available to an initiator?

When I tried to to Add Device and mount the existing image file it says that The Specified File cannot be opened. I am trying to make a manual fail over if Machine A is down. Is this even possible?

Is there a better way to do this?

Eric
Eric
Bohdan (staff)
Staff

Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:54 am

Hello eric,

1. If Machine A fails, you can use only the image file target from the machine B (that has been used as the second mirror) during some time (for example till the end of the work day). But you should change the IP address of machine B to IP address machine A and recreate the Image file target with the target name of the mirror device. Client initiator should reconnect to this target automatically.

2. To create new mirror device on machine B, you must disconnect the image file target from the client initiator, remove the target in the StarWind management console and create new mirror device using the existing image file as the first mirror (also you must select synchronize mirrors data option during creating the mirror).