Backing up .img files

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

bmilner

Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:07 pm

Question about backing up .img files-

If we want to back up a .img file (as opposed to .ibv), does StarWind work with the MS Volume Shadow Copy service so that this can be done without stopping the iSCSI client that may be accessing that file? Or is it a best practice to be sure that in the case of a .img file, all activity to the file is halted?

(I realize that .ibv is a more "backup friendly" method, but we have a number of reasons for wanting to use regular .img files. And my apologies if this has been answered elsewhere, couldn't find it in the forums.)

Thanks!

Brett
Val (staff)

Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:59 am

Hi,

ImageFile does not support online back-up in the current StarWind versions.

We are working on a new feature to support the standard client-side buckups with VSS for any of our target types. Our owm VSS hardware provider will be used on the client side to support it.
This feature is scheduled to StarWind v4...
Best regards,
Valeriy
bmilner

Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:29 pm

Thanks for the clarification, this lets me know what we need to do. The specific situation is that each .img file contains a VMware virtual machine. We can work around this by suspending the VMs and backing up from the host systems.

To be a little more specific-
Can a .img file be safely backed up from the StarWind server if there is no activity to the file, or must you also fully disconnect any iSCSI initiators from the file?

Thanks again!
Val (staff)

Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:37 pm

bmilner wrote:Thanks for the clarification, this lets me know what we need to do. The specific situation is that each .img file contains a VMware virtual machine. We can work around this by suspending the VMs and backing up from the host systems.

To be a little more specific-
Can a .img file be safely backed up from the StarWind server if there is no activity to the file, or must you also fully disconnect any iSCSI initiators from the file?
It should be safe if you 100% sure that the client host has flushed all changed buffers before you start the backup process.
Otherwise the resulting copy may include invalid data...
Best regards,
Valeriy