Win 2003 Active Passive Cluster and Starwind Licensing

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

buzeyga

Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:12 pm

Currently I have a stand alone win 03 starwind professional target server setup. I am in the process of planning for a high availability solution using starwind in a MS cluster.

Questions:

1) It is correct that starwind will work in a MS clustered environment with an active passive configuration...yes?

2) In the event of cluster failover to the 2nd cluster node...during the time duration while the 2nd member picks everything up...will it drop existing connections and result in connectivity / data loss?

3) In an active passive configuration how does your licensing model work? Will I need to purchase a 2nd license for starwind even though only one instance is being used at any given time?

4) Do you have a best practice doc or other info on clustering your software?

Thanx! :D
Bohdan (staff)
Staff

Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:55 am

Hello.

1) Yes. You can configure StarWind to Provide Cluster Shared Disk Resources or configure StarWind for high availability MS Cluster Service (StarWind sevice as Cluster Resource).

2) It depends on the MS Cluster Service. If active node fails MSCS needs some time to switch from the active node to passive. If this time period is long the Delay write error may occur.

3) You need 2 licenses. Active and passive nodes are the members of the same subnet so one of the StarWind services detects the other one with the same license and generates license violation error.

4) Sure. Here is the link to "Using StarWind to Provide Cluster Shared Disk Resource" manual - http://www.rocketdivision.com/info/star ... luster.pdf
Please contact our support team to get "Configuring StarWind for high availability MS Cluster Service" draft. This manual will be available for download soon.