Recovery of SAN Box

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

HS

Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:12 pm

Hi- We are evaluating StarWind right now and would like to find out, how can we protect our SAN box in the event of a total disaster and both SAN boxes (we are replication between 2 Starwind boxes) were to completely fail. I have noticed that StarWind requires the Windows file system to operate. Is it just a simple case of backing up that file system and then restoring those files to another box and reconfiguring StarPOrt to see the new machine? What about configuration setting? Where is that file located and can it be backed up as well? Can we simply add Veritas backupexec remote agent to the starwind server and run tape backups of the filesystem to tape?

Thanks.
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:59 pm

There are a lot of ways.

1) Replicate to the third node. With the either StarWind or third-party replication tool.

2) Replicate at the file level (if you use image files). Third-party tool.

3) Run backup to the Blu-Ray/HD-DVD (external or wait for our own) or to tape. Physical or VTL.
HS wrote:Hi- We are evaluating StarWind right now and would like to find out, how can we protect our SAN box in the event of a total disaster and both SAN boxes (we are replication between 2 Starwind boxes) were to completely fail. I have noticed that StarWind requires the Windows file system to operate. Is it just a simple case of backing up that file system and then restoring those files to another box and reconfiguring StarPOrt to see the new machine? What about configuration setting? Where is that file located and can it be backed up as well? Can we simply add Veritas backupexec remote agent to the starwind server and run tape backups of the filesystem to tape?

Thanks.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

HS

Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:53 pm

Thanks Anton.
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:45 am

If you'd like to become a part of the Blu-Ray/HD-DVD backup agenet or/and iVTL things from us - please drop us a message to the info@rocketdivision.com as we'll release public versions quite soon. Thank you!
HS wrote:Thanks Anton.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

HS

Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:17 am

yes, we would like that. I'll send you the email.
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:19 pm

:)
HS wrote:yes, we would like that. I'll send you the email.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev