iSCSI target keeps dropping

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

BigBadVR4

Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:12 am

I have starwind install on a Dell 2950 running Windows 2003 R2. I have an NFS share and an iSCSI share set up. I can connect to the iSCSI via Vmware ESX 3.0.1 fine. I create a VM on there and then I start an install of the OS and it goes fine for awhile and then it just quits working and I can't reach any of my volumes. If I reboot the ESX server the connection comes back and everything is fine until I use it again. I am using a Dell 1950 to connect to the starwind with the SW iSCSI initiator.
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:39 am

Did you apply ESX patch? W/o it iSCSI connections will be unstable. Bohdan will give some details. Thanks!
BigBadVR4 wrote:I have starwind install on a Dell 2950 running Windows 2003 R2. I have an NFS share and an iSCSI share set up. I can connect to the iSCSI via Vmware ESX 3.0.1 fine. I create a VM on there and then I start an install of the OS and it goes fine for awhile and then it just quits working and I can't reach any of my volumes. If I reboot the ESX server the connection comes back and everything is fine until I use it again. I am using a Dell 1950 to connect to the starwind with the SW iSCSI initiator.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

BigBadVR4

Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:40 am

anton (staff) wrote:Did you apply ESX patch? W/o it iSCSI connections will be unstable. Bohdan will give some details. Thanks!
BigBadVR4 wrote:I have starwind install on a Dell 2950 running Windows 2003 R2. I have an NFS share and an iSCSI share set up. I can connect to the iSCSI via Vmware ESX 3.0.1 fine. I create a VM on there and then I start an install of the OS and it goes fine for awhile and then it just quits working and I can't reach any of my volumes. If I reboot the ESX server the connection comes back and everything is fine until I use it again. I am using a Dell 1950 to connect to the starwind with the SW iSCSI initiator.
Which patch?
Bohdan (staff)
Staff

Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:52 am

Hello.
You should apply ESX-6657345 patch for VMware ESX Server 3.0.1.
This patch provides an enhancement to the software ISCSI initiator that enables array vendors to certify iSCSI arrays that expect SCSI reserve/release commands without a data direction bit.
Installation instructions you can find here:
http://www.vmware.com/support/vi3/doc/e ... patch.html